AVS Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 4499 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,461
For those using gmail to receive CW_EPG scheduling notices, you need to have 2-factor authorization set up and then establish an app-specific password for CW_EPG to use. See here for instructions.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Second TV - Mini Recommendations?

I want to leave main CW_EPG installation as-is and install a new (to me) TV (KDL55EX710) that can play my recordings and watch live TV, and was thinking of a fanless-mini, but the variations are perplexing. Some people are saying you must have at least 64GB to run Windows 10. I have Ethernet, so could live without wifi (but it seems to 'standard'). I'd rather not get a hamstrung version of Windows, so think 'pro' bundle would be advisable. I don't need a bundled keyboard and mouse, as the little cheap USB keyboard with trackpad will be good enough. Looking to get in for minimal expenditure, and willing to put up with a little risk to get in cheap.

The optimal answer would be "I'm doing exactly that, and am using (specific product), which I bought for (specific cheap price)", but anything at all that would make me smarter about buying a CW_EPG playback station / HD Homerun live TV viewing computer would be welcomed.

·
Registered
978 Posts
@sengsational ,
I can't say I'm doing exactly that, but I do have a few comments. First, Win 10 does not need 64GB of memory. The 32-bit version can't use quite 4GB. The 64-bit version will also work with 4GB but most techs recommend at least 8. But if you're just using it as a video player, 4GB should be enough.

But why use a Windows computer for that? You don't need to install CW_EPG on the player. There are many such devices, mostly running Linux or Android. Many consider the Nvidia Shield the best of them but also the most expensive. You want something that can access the recordings CW_EPG has made on your main PC. And it should probably run Kodi.

I use a Raspberry Pi. I have a 2B, a 3B and a 3B+. The first two need an MPEG-2 license to play OTA recordings in hardware. The 3B+ seems fast enough to play them in software so I'm sure the current 4B model could as well. The base price is $35 (typically $40 in the US) but then you have to add a case, power supply, MicroSD card and keyboard. The 4B runs hot so if you get that I recommend getting a case that doubles as a massive heat sink. And it has 2 micro HDMI ports instead of the single standard size the earlier ones have, so you'd need an adapter cable.

To connect the player to the computer you could use SMB which is built into Windows. I prefer NFS. You have to install an NFS server on your Windows computer. I recommend haneWIN NFS Server. Very easy to set up, after which it just works reliably. Not free but there's a 30-day free trial period.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks for sharing the expertise, ebo. That's valuable insight. If the Raspberry Pi (with some *nix OS, I suppose) with Kodi will play SMB or NFS, that takes care of playing back recordings. As for live-TV watching, I've taken a quick look at this Kodi wiki, and it kind of sounds like a paid subscription, so that might not be what I need. Is there an obvious live TV watching non-subscription app for the Pi solution?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,465
Regarding file playback, I've already shared this with Dale but for others who may have the same question I can point out that my current primary HTPC is this fanless Win10-pro 64-bit system that can use Kodi, VLC, the Silicondust View/PVR app, etc., for superb playback of CW_EPG recordings. It works with BT keyboards and has an IR remote whose codes are in the Harmony database plus it just sips ac wall power, drawing between 5 and 10 watts, depending on work in progress, and well under a watt in S4 sleep. It comes with OS and DRAM, ready to accept your choice of file player (and CW_EPG, of course) and go.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
...Win10-pro 64-bit system that can use Kodi, VLC, the Silicondust View/PVR app, etc., for superb playback of CW_EPG recordings...
Having yet another Windows box in the house to maintain isn't something I really want, and I wonder how much of the $250 goes to Microsoft, how much they'll be trying to spy on me, when they'll drop support and cram a subscription model down my throat, etc. Running Windows will run both halves of CW_EPG, so that's a plus if you haven't got a machine already. But I don't need another instance of CW_EPG...one is plenty ;)
Is there an obvious live TV watching non-subscription app for the Pi solution?
More research suggests that the HDHR solution will work without the $35/year subscription from SiliconDust. No use buying two sets of guide data. And the Pi 3 looks like about $60, all-in. I think I'm going this direction. I'll try to document my progress for OTA Raspberry Pi 3, HDHomeRun, and CW_EPG. Should the documentation be in this, or a separate thread?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,467
Dale, all three viewers (Silicondust's, Kodi, and VLC) are available for both Windows and Linux without any subscription fees. The $35/year in Silicondust's case is just to add their PVR option to the viewer. I have no experience with Linux on a Pi, so I don't know how that would compare with the Win10 Byte3 in overall viewer performance or power consumption. The folks I've communicated with about the Pi seem to be 24/7 users. :eek:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,468
BTW, Dale and ebo, it's correct that the viewer device doesn't need to have CW_EPG installed for viewing recordings, but if you install it as a Helper and have some local storage attached to that machine, you can use your Master CW_EPG installation to offload some of your recording duties to the (if a Byte3, e.g.) lower-power box.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,469
Further to the point about viewers, if you really just want a viewer there are better options than a PC, no matter what its OS. My main viewer devices are TViX boxes from defunct company DViCo. Mine are about 10 years old now and working just fine. I've not looked at the current crop but they must be at least as good and also cheaper. The only reason for using a PC is if you want other functionality than file playback.

·
Registered
356 Posts
As long as you're willing to give up MyHD, you can run W10-64 on an HTPC. I've been doing so ever since before the first W10 RTM. It's completely transparent for HDHR use (and nearly so for FusionHDTV). In fact, the Silicondust software has been available in 64-bit for quite a while.

How much do you guys know about Kodi? I stumbled on it at YT while looking for alternate ways to build a HTPC.
I saw how it works with third party remotes, asked on there if it can be used to watch live TV on a unused tuner.
No replies yet.

Right now I can't afford to build a W10 box, gamer quality, for use with Blender 2.8+ and other 3D stuff but I know the 64-bit OS I want
https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/
and where to get it. Still using the MyHD in the XP box, and reluctant to upgrade that because I edit the .mcl files, did it when the Buffalo stations flipped RF positions in the first round and there is another coming March 13.
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sat/thread.cgi?4218,last#last
Middle post.

Don't want to lose the text for WBBZ, even though I can't currently receive, because as I found out there, at RC, their antenna height currently is less than 300 feet.
Currently confused, the Silicondust software consistently finds the W7 workstation's tuners, where the new CW EPG can't. I even use it to watch live TV via the HDHR app on WMP. For the other weak stations, like Comet RF49.3 [I think] that the MyHD can't pull in.
Don't be paranoid about W7, many members at sevenforums cancelled updates for over a year because they were doing more harm than good even on my machine, then I joined the crowd. However Google made the threat that the Chrome browser will stop supporting it in 18 months. I only use it for YT anyhow.

Point:
Hullava lot of work just to get 60 Minutes when sports makes it run overtime. :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,471
How much do you guys know about Kodi? I ... asked ... if it can be used to watch live TV on a unused tuner.
Yes. Kodi has an HDHR plugin for that purpose.
....Currently confused, the Silicondust software consistently finds the W7 workstation's tuners, where the new CW EPG can't.
Bruce, this is misleading. As I pointed out in your logs, the "old" CW_EPG had the same problem with that HDHR unit, which evidently suffers a hardware issue that has probably grown worse over time. My guess is that it has a flaky power supply (a well-known occasional HDHR problem). Have you yet tried swapping out that wall wart with one of the known-good others that you already have? Until you've tried that we'll not know for certain whether or not my guess is correct.
Hullava lot of work just to get 60 Minutes when sports makes it run overtime. :frown:
Why'n'ell don't you just record '60 Minutes' with an hour of post padding set in CW_EPG? That would then catch any sports-caused overrun.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Why'n'ell don't you just record '60 Minutes' with an hour of post padding set in CW_EPG? That would then catch any sports-caused overrun.
I already did that with the old version, and all was stable until the update these past three years.
Sorry. You're right, about 2017, then one day it became stable.

What about not being able to erase the log?. I hit clear log, but the old data returns.

Can I email you later? Yesterday it recorded Corrie, but did not make the backup of PBS'
NATURE and NOVA, though with nothing on Wednesday nights they're set to record on the
XP PVR. Had everything powered off when I went to bed about 2AM. Though at 12:04
it didn't set up during autorun when it was still flaky.

Started the workstation at 10:30AM, so far seems stable, coming on without the no tuners detected.
Would like to make more test runs. Now I had the other unit connected to the XP, and while HDHR set up
detects all four tuners, that other one never showed up in 4.3.0's tuner pane. I hope that one isn't flaky either,
its the one I bought six months later, or I'm screwed.

I only mentioned Kodi because other than seeing an app for it I don't know anything about it and want to prepare
myself for the day the MyHD becomes useless. aka ATSC 3.0_4K arrives here.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,473
What about not being able to erase the log?. I hit clear log, but the old data returns.
I just confirmed that same behavior here. Thanks for the bug report. I guess nobody else ever deletes his log (I don't). ;)

Please prepare and send me a debug.zip from your XP system and I'll see what its logs say about that other HDHR Connect unit.

Meanwhile, please move the existing wall wart from the XP system to the W7 system so that we can see if the problem goes away on the W7 when using the known-good power supply. At the same time you can put the currently unused power supply from the second HDHR Connect on the XP system so that it won't suffer (provided the second Connect's ps is OK).

·
Registered
356 Posts
How about Saturday when I have more time?
I don't want to frell with XP system, in case I jinx it. I do remember when I first hooked up the 'newer' unit and ran the scan for tuners in Options,
the buzy icon just spinned and spuned for the longest time, before letting go, this was after we got 4.3.0 going on this machine.
The XP has no problem clearing the log pane.
I should have been to the store and back, getting too dark now.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,475 (Edited)
How about Saturday when I have more time?
No rush here, Boss. :D
....I do remember when I first hooked up the 'newer' unit and ran the scan for tuners in Options,
the buzy icon just spinned and spuned for the longest time, before letting go, this was after we got 4.3.0 going on this machine.
That may have been related to the other HDHR Connect's issues if it was then on the same LAN.
The XP has no problem clearing the log pane.
Version 4.3 simply deleted the log file. I didn't like that and implemented a scheme in 4.4.0 to maintain one level of .bak file in case of a rash deletion decision. But, being a Delphi neophyte, I misunderstood the workings of a system routine and failed to confirm my backup function (which I never need, right? :rolleyes:). It's all fixed in Version 4.4.2. Meanwhile, you'll have to delete/rename CW_EPG.log (in the CW_EPG data folder, usually under C:\ProgramData) yourselves. :eek:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,476
Through some extended troubleshooting, Bruce (browncoat) and I have zeroed in on a flaky Ethernet cable and third-party firewall combination as the seeming culprit in his problems with CW_EPG and HDHR on his W7 system. :eek:

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,477 (Edited)
DST bug discovered in Version 4.4 (fixed in 4.4.2)

It's just come to my attention that CW_EPG versions 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 incorrectly populate the EPG table for a period of several hours this weekend starting on Saturday. All entries between 9:00 p.m. EST (6:00 p.m. PST) Saturday* and 2:00 a.m. local standard time Sunday are listed one hour later than they should be. :eek:

This is occurring because the program is applying the DST correction starting at 2:00 a.m. GMT (instead of local time) on Sunday. I haven't yet determined if this is a configuration issue or an outright system routine bug. :confused: EDIT: Turns out that it is due to a system library routine's bug :eek: and I've found a way around it for the next release.

The workaround for the current version is to add one hour to the start-time padding for any captures that may occur this weekend in the above period. :eek: EDIT2: Another workaround: You can use the Capture Editor item in the CWHelper tray icon's right-click menu to correct the start time.

This bug is fixed in version 4.4.2.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,478
Version 4.4.2 now available with improved repack support

It is now super easy to recover from channel repacking--even before Schedules Direct gets around to updating their lineups. If you're still running version 4.3.1 you're missing out on this convenience. Check out the new ReadMe to see what's changed.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,479
Seeking INTERNATIONAL beta testers

Up until now CW_EPG use has been limited to North America (U.S.A. and Canada) because its data source has been thus limited. However, we're now developing a new version that uses Schedules Direct data that cover many other countries in Latin America, Europe, and Asia. Obviously, we need to test this version via potential users in at least some of those areas. If you qualify and are interested, please PM me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't been on here in a while - my system has been humming along for many years with no problems. I recently noticed, however, that the MyHD Program Guide is no longer being populated by the SD data. I updated the CW-EPG to the latest version and, after 2 days, the guide is still not populating.

4461 - 4480 of 4499 Posts