Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

Until now i've thought that the Gamma is only broken when setting it to values other than the default Value 1.

But if you take a look at the stepless 100 IRE to 0 IRE Ramp on the Avia DVD

(Video Test Patterns/Gray Scales Levels/Grey Steps & Ramps/Horizontal Gray Ramp (Chapter 103))

you will see, that the gamma is broken even at the default setting 1. Just look in the dark area to the right.

And no matter to what Value i set the Gamma, the Error still remains. All that's changing is the size of the Error. You might not see the Error with setting 1 on a CRT Projector with a very low brightness setting but you will certanly see it on a Monitor.

I use a radeon 8500 with 6071 Drivers on Windows XP.

Hope that is fixed in the upcomming Drivers...

cya

Ralf

·
Registered
803 Posts
Amigenius, you just made the hot water discovery.

The problem is well known since 6 months, it is now rarely discussed because Mr. Orr from ATI promised it is 'already' fixed in the upcoming driver release. Thousands of 8500 owners remain waiting.

bye

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI !

Yes, I know this Problem also since the beginning.

But until now i thougt that this problem only apeared when setting the gamma to a value other than 1.

cya

Ralf

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Amigenius:

___Not only has this problem been discussed to death over the last 6 months but the various drivers shifted the Gamma discontinuity up and down the scale so it may show up differently depending on which driver you used.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
And that's why ATI video products are so highly desirable.
Of course the broken gamma was only with the 8500 card and we still have the 7000, 7200, 7500 cards with perfect gamma and the 10-bit advanced color controls and DACs that no other video card provides, so yes that is why ATI video products are highly desirable.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Is the Gamma problem really a driver issue?

It appears that Ati is trying to patch a hardware problem with driver.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Is the Gamma problem really a driver issue?â€

Yes it was.

â€It appears that Ati is trying to patch a hardware problem with driver.â€

Now that would be called “Magicâ€.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that it indeed WAS a driver issue "if it is completly fixed".

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alec
Any word or expectation or speculation on when the new ATI 8500 drivers are expected to come out?
ATI does not tell that stuff.

·
Registered
674 Posts
arrrggghhh, so what to buy then? wanna get the 8500 but don't know when the gamma fix will come out....*sigh*

·
Banned
374 Posts
Well , I have a small question :

If I used Win DVD 4.0 which has now a software Gamma control , will I ever see the Gamma problem with 8500 ?

Next week I will be getting a NEW ATI card (Gigabyte Powered By ATI) Radeon 8500 or 7500 , but untill I hear a REAL Gamma fix confirmation I will buy 7500 although I would like the 8500 for gaming capailities.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.