AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google hasn't helped me, I don't think I'm using the right key words. That's what happens to noobs trying to figure some topics out.

My sub amp that powers a transducer doesn't have a clipping LED. What would it take to have one?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010  /t/1520083/clip-led#post_24415381

Google hasn't helped me, I don't think I'm using the right key words. That's what happens to noobs trying to figure some topics out.

My sub amp that powers a transducer doesn't have a clipping LED. What would it take to have one?

Not a heck of a lot if you have a schematic of the amp.

The following is a schematic from a QSC USA 850 power amp, but the same basic technique is used widely.

The clipping indicator is composed of LED LD1, bridge rectifier B2 and R14. It is placed at a point in the output stage circuit where a fair amount of signal current drive whose average level is ground is present, and where there is considerable gain between that point and the output terminals. The basic idea is that the gain between the monitoring point is large enough that the signal volage is small unless the amp is clipping, Then this voltage skyrockets and activates the LED.

The bridge rectifier ensures that the LED lights for both polarities of signal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts