AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a newbie to HT, but I read somewhere that distortion ,clipping or damage of the speakers might occur if the speakers are rated a higher wattage then what your receivers amp can put out if its played at a certain level( Too Loud) . I have a onkyo tx-sr800 thats rated at 100 watts per channel with the polk audio speaker package thats rated at 150 watts max per speaker. Theres a option to set the max volume for the receiver , but how can I tell what the max level the receiver can be played at before distortion so that I can set the max volume on the receiver.

Thanks in Advance

Way

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your receiver should have no problem with your speakers.

The receiver will start to make the speakers sound strained when they are reach distortion. This will be somewhere around the point when you are using 75 to 80 percent of your total volume ability. You will notice that it sounds to harsh and stained . Kick the knob back a couple of notches till the sound becomes clear. That is where you set the max volume.

·
Registered
701 Posts
way,

it depends on what you're listening to, as well - relatively quiet cd's and dvd's will obviously be capable of playback at higher volume settings than louder or more dynamic recordings; if you set your maximum volume at slightly below clipping for a subdued recording, then your receiver's still gonna clip if it plays louder recordings at that same volume.

i would err on the side of caution, if i were you.

- jd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.