AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a QSC RMX 2450 in bridged mono mode 4ohm load powering two eD D4 190v.2 18" drivers in separate sealed boxes.


The speakers do not sound stained at all, but I get the red clip light blinking intermittently (I run amp with clip limiter ON).


Do I need a more powerful amp? Or add another amp and more drivers? I do want to go louder with more SPL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
You really don't want a bigger amp with those subs. What you have now is about the perfect amount of power for each. The best solution would be to turn your gains down a tad to keep the clip lights off and then buy another amp and two more subs. Doing so will add 6db's of output. If that extra output is worth doubling the cost of your subwoofer system, than go for it! If it's not, try to keep the clip lights off and be happy with what you have
Dual 18's is well past the "enthusiast" catagory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm sure if I added more subs I'd still want more!


Don't want to double the cost, but may sometime in the future...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke /forum/post/12937599


Yeah, I'm sure if I added more subs I'd still want more!

There is something wrong with you. Having said that, upgrade to RE XXX subs if you for some reason think you need so much bass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
Sorry, those subs do not model well for any enclosures on this earth, they are not the end all, they require LOADS of power to reach their potential and they cost a lot and require extremely large enclosures. The people that use them put them in small car audio boxes where fr simply doesnt matter, but driving them with lots of power does, even still you need more power than the voice coils can handles to take advantage of all that excursion in any box that is going to be somewhat normal sized. Even if you didn't, you still need a 10 or 12" port to handle all that air, requiring a larger box and higher tuning than you'd like for a drivers with such a low fs and amazing excursion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
Well, if you can fit 8 or whatever ED subs, whatevr.... Quite space inefficient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
They just don't model well, their response is actually too flat, if you want 10Hz tuning, you are going to wind with an fr that is totally flat to 10Hz and has even has 1-2dB hump at the tuning frequency. Now you still need about 30-50cubic feet per driver and each one is costing you as much as 10 of the ED's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12938677


Sorry, those subs do not model well for any enclosures on this earth, they are not the end all, they require LOADS of power to reach their potential and they cost a lot.

They'd work alright in an IB due to box requirements. There's better options and certainly more cost effective options! They're just not efficient enough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,651 Posts
"The best solution would be to turn your gains down a tad to keep the clip lights off and then buy another amp and two more subs."


Just doubling your box size can double the efficiency, and/or going from sealed to vented, if the clipping is only ocurring at the lowest freq.


How big is your box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
Why do you have the amp in bridge mode? I would wire each sub to one channel. You might get a hair more performance this way. You should be able to set the amp to Parallel mode, so you only need one input for both channels.


Second, is the gain all the way up on the amp? If not, try turning down the channel level in the receiver and turning up the gain on the amp. Clipping is too high of input signal. So, if you can reduce the the input and turn up the output, you'll stop the clipping.


Finally, you aren't doing something silly like having a 30' run of 16gage wire to the subs are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke /forum/post/12937351


I have a QSC RMX 2450 in bridged mono mode 4ohm load powering two eD D4 190v.2 18" drivers in separate sealed boxes.


The speakers do not sound stained at all, but I get the red clip light blinking intermittently (I run amp with clip limiter ON).


Do I need a more powerful amp? Or add another amp and more drivers? I do want to go louder with more SPL.

This is something we see from the bar/club crowd quite often. People constantly clipping amplifiers, burning up woofers, etc. Most of the time people say "can you replace these with something the same size that won't blow up?" and 95% of the time my answer is no. The reason they are clipping amps, burning up the woofers, etc is that they just don't have enough displacement to reach the levels they want. In your case, you could go with a vented enclosure which would give you from 6-10dB more output at and around tuning than you currently have. This would give you much more headroom than you currently have.


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- /forum/post/12941190


Why do you have the amp in bridge mode? I would wire each sub to one channel. You might get a hair more performance this way. You should be able to set the amp to Parallel mode, so you only need one input for both channels.


Second, is the gain all the way up on the amp? If not, try turning down the channel level in the receiver and turning up the gain on the amp. Clipping is too high of input signal. So, if you can reduce the the input and turn up the output, you'll stop the clipping.


Finally, you aren't doing something silly like having a 30' run of 16gage wire to the subs are you?

From reading how everyone else is running similar setups, I was under the impression bridge mode was the way to go and yielded more overall power.


I have changed the gains on both the receiver and the 2450. I didn't notice a difference.



The wire gauge is 14 and the run is ~14' to the first speaker and from there another 14' to the second speaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_E_Janowitz /forum/post/12941559


This is something we see from the bar/club crowd quite often. People constantly clipping amplifiers, burning up woofers, etc. Most of the time people say "can you replace these with something the same size that won't blow up?" and 95% of the time my answer is no. The reason they are clipping amps, burning up the woofers, etc is that they just don't have enough displacement to reach the levels they want. In your case, you could go with a vented enclosure which would give you from 6-10dB more output at and around tuning than you currently have. This would give you much more headroom than you currently have.


John

I am not running the amp so loud it clips, just that I want to be running it louder, beyond the point where I have experienced the clipping light blinking. I have turned it down so it doesn't clip.


Building vented enclosures just seems a lot more complicated, so I am wondering if just adding more sealed units would yield the same effect?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/12940951


Just doubling your box size can double the efficiency, and/or going from sealed to vented, if the clipping is only ocurring at the lowest freq.


How big is your box?

I thought I read in another thread he was using a 4.5ft/driver enclosure. If he bumps that up to 9ft, he's not going to gain much down low and run out of excursion much sooner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke /forum/post/12947083


From reading how everyone else is running similar setups, I was under the impression bridge mode was the way to go and yielded more overall power.


I have changed the gains on both the receiver and the 2450. I didn't notice a difference.



The wire gauge is 14 and the run is ~14' to the first speaker and from there another 14' to the second speaker.


I think there is a lot of misconceptions about bridge mode. Try it and see what happens.


If you can turn the gain up on the amp still and down on the receiver, you should see a difference. What are you settings now?


14 gauge @ 14' should be okay. Its not clear how you have them wired. I'm not familiar with the ED D4 driver. But, is that a 4 ohm driver? Are you making a 2ohm load there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- /forum/post/12948694


I think there is a lot of misconceptions about bridge mode. Try it and see what happens.


If you can turn the gain up on the amp still and down on the receiver, you should see a difference. What are you settings now?


14 gauge @ 14' should be okay. Its not clear how you have them wired. I'm not familiar with the ED D4 driver. But, is that a 4 ohm driver? Are you making a 2ohm load there?

I'll give it a try.


The wiring is as diagrammed here under "Dual Subwoofer Systems" and "Dual-4 Ohm subwoofer: 4 Ohms"

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ele...gns_wiring.php
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,651 Posts
"If you can turn the gain up on the amp still and down on the receiver, you should see a difference. What are you settings now?"


Not if he's clipping the power supply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
yeah. I was just going for what I thought was more likely.



Just make sure you're wiring is correct for the 4 ohms at the amp. It is very easy to make a mistake and present the with a nasty load. But, try the 8ohm on each channel of the amp and see what happens.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top