Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post, please be gentle

It seems like the clock drifts quite a bit between net connects. Perhaps this can be remedied?

==============================

Idea 1: Replace the clock crystal. Has anyone done this? Is the crystal accessible on the motherboard?

Idea 2: Have the ReplayTV software do a correction, by calculating the number of seconds drift since the last net connect divided by time between net connects.

Example: a net connect is done and the clock is found to be 18 seconds ahead. The last net connect was done 47 hours ago. So, the clock is gaining a second every 9400 seconds. The ReplayTV software could subtract a second from the clock every 9400 seconds.

This might even be doable in "100 lines of code or less"

Idea 3: Use the AC voltage to count seconds. Not sure if this is feasible given the ReplayTV hardware but clocks based on 60Hz AC are surprisingly accurate.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Welcome to the group.

If you've snooped around for a while I guess you've seen we all see the same drift.

The only crystal I've seen on the MB is a 48KHz crystal, which I suspect is for the audio. No one has really disected the parts to find if there's a RTC, and if so is there a accurate replacement.

A clock that drifts 5 minutes in 24 hrs is unacceptable to me. Since the clock seems to keep time while not connected to the power I suspect there's a RTC in there somewhere.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Have you ensured your NTP port is open on your router for the Replay?

I understand Replay uses NTP services which should keep the clock accurate. The user guide says to keep port 123 (NTP) open (pg 15).

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Jeff, are you really seeing 5 min clock drift within 24 hours or are you just

exaggerating for effect? I've seen +-10 seconds variance in 24 hours, but

never as bad as 5 minutes in 24 hours.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
sfhub, I'd have to check back in my old posts, and I don't want to do that search.... It may have been only 3 minute drift, but I thought it was in the minutes.

EDIT: Ok, the only post I ever made was a 10 second drift. I swear I've seen greater than a minute, maybe not 3 or 5.

Regardless, there should be no reason for a RTC to drift like that.

I'm off to search for a complete chip list from the 5k line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.