AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't the clock in a 5040 supposed to be set automatically when the unit phones home? When I start WinDVA, there is always a time offset between the computer and the RTV even though I have the PC set to update its time with ntp-production.replaytv.net, which should be the same time server that the RTV uses. Is there a way to manually reset the time on the RTV? Is it possible that ntp-production.replaytv.net is wrong? The latest time offset that DVA reported was 124 seconds.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumannu47 /forum/post/14184055

Isn't the clock in a 5040 supposed to be set automatically when the unit phones home?

Yes, it's supposed to. If you force a manual netconnect from the 243-ZONES screen, you can see the "setting clock" message. If the RTV does not hang on that message, then the synch was succuessfull.

Quote:

When I start WinDVA, there is always a time offset between the computer and the RTV even though I have the PC set to update its time with ntp-production.replaytv.net, which should be the same time server that the RTV uses.

That is the correct server.

Have you looked at the NTP logs for your computer to see if everything is in order? Depending on your NTP settings, once the drift becomes greater than a certain ammount, the daemon might not actually update the system clock. You should see messages pertaining to such in the logs. It's also possible that there might be some other reason why the NTP daemon isn't updating your system clock.

Try turning up the logging level to maximum and manually forcing a synch and taking a look at the log for clues.

Quote:

Is there a way to manually reset the time on the RTV?

2k's, 3k's & ShowStoppers running RTV-O/S 3.02: Yes (you have to install a slightly hacked os though)

4k's & 5k's: Nope.

Quote:

Is it possible that ntp-production.replaytv.net is wrong?

If that was the case, both your RTV and PC would be wrong together and by very similiar ammounts.

Quote:

The latest time offset that DVA reported was 124 seconds.

Ick. Check your NTP settings as described above, you might be running into an issue where the drift is too great for the mode of operation (clock stepping) and might require a single large adjustment.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Windows updates the time infrequently, the Replay every day. If you want Windows to update more frequently (I forget the default, but it is like a couple of days or more), you have to edit the registry and change the value (it is in seconds).

·
Registered
477 Posts
The default for Windows XP is 7 days between updates.

At the following key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\W32 Time\\TimeProviders\\NtpClient]

change the value of

SpecialPollInterval

to 86400 (decimal) to get the clock updated daily.

If you mess up your system editing the registry, I don't want to hear about it.

You are on your own.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy /forum/post/14189257

If you mess up your system editing the registry, I don't want to hear about it.

You are on your own.

That's really good advice coming from Mr. Murphy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The registry on this particular machine had already been changed to one day. When I rebooted everything, the times were within 3 seconds, so I don't know where they are getting out of sync.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
PCs are poor time keepers. If you do intensive tasks, the clock in the pc will slow. They will never be in synch. This causes no problem in DVArchive unless the difference is great. If the Replays are allowed to connect everyday, the major issue of starting a recording minutes early or late is mostly avoided.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts