AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a hearing impaired person, i am very interested in the status of CC on hdtv. does anyone have this capability on their hi-def stations?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes. Several of the digital stations in the San Francisco Bay Area include closed captioning in their broadcasts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The two stations I receive in my area have CC (NBC and PBS). The odd thing - the PBS station's CC doesn't work when they are passing the PBS National HDTV feed about 7-10 pm, but the simulcast of their analog programming from 7 am to 7 pm has captions working fine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Also keep in mind that many of the STBs (including the Dish 6000) do not [yet?] support closed captioning. CC is invoked in a completely different way with DTV; i.e. it's no longer part of the VBI.

Gerald C

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, good point to note. I can confirm that closed caption display works on the Samsung SIR-T150.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am also using a Samsung SIR-T150. Like you, I'm hearing impaired, so I had a similiar question about CC. I heard from some other users that the RCA DTC100 and the Toshiba DS3000 work with CC. No idea which STB won't work with CC.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.