AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using / know about a closed captioning solution that works with projectors?

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

·
Registered
855 Posts
I believe DScaler does CC, though I'm not sure how well.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, the latest beta of dscaler does support CC, although apparently not very reliably.

I was more interested in a solutions that did not involve a HTPC.

Thanks.

/jab

------------------

·
Registered
599 Posts
You could buy a tv that has video OUT , then connect your cable/satellite to the TV, use the TV to change channels, and connect the TV video OUT to the projector. The TV would have to have a closed-caption decoder, but any recent TV is required to have one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't have any of these but, I did some searching and found this . There are more out there. Do a search at www.yahoo.com for "caption decoder".

EDIT: Changed the first URL.

Good luck.

------------------

Huck

[This message has been edited by Huckster (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a very interesting idea!

A quick search does not reveal any reasonably priced TVs with video outputs. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I have found the following standalone CC decoders:
http://www.starlaser.com/cc-copy.htm
http://www.hearmore.com/Electronics/V-7310.html

They would probably work, but I bet they do bad things to picture quality if left in the loop permanently.

Thanks everyone!

/jab

------------------

[This message has been edited by JAB (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
599 Posts
JAB -

When you say "reasonably priced" I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm 99% certain my old Toshiba 32" tv had video outs. And it was $550 at Best Buy. You might want to go there and check out some tv's.

rick

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rick,

I'm with you. For a TV, $550 would be perfectly reasonable. For a closed caption decoding device, $550 seems expensive. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

At the moment, I'm thinking of feeding one of the above dedicated decoders using composite video from my A/V preamp and then feeding the composite video with the closed caption overlay into a Faroudja NRS. When I need closed captioning, I simply flip the Faroudja from the S-Video input to composite.

That's if I go with the Faroudja. If I go with a HTPC, I'm sure there's some solution involving capture card support for closed captioning.

Thanks again everyone.

/jab

------------------

·
Registered
599 Posts
But you'd still have the tv for other uses. Like watching tv on a small screen. Sometimes that's better than turning out the lights and firing up the projector.

Last thing -

Is the CC information present in a composite video signal? I thought you'd need the RF (coax) from your cable instead.

[This message has been edited by rickforrest (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Closed captioning is present on S-Video, so I'm assuming it's available on composite. Besides, one of the devices linked above specifically mentions that composite video inputs are required.

Thanks for heads-up.

/jab

------------------

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickforrest
You could buy a tv that has video OUT , then connect your cable/satellite to the TV, use the TV to change channels, and connect the TV video OUT to the projector. The TV would have to have a closed-caption decoder, but any recent TV is required to have one.
Are there any TVs that actually exert an effect on the video signal on that output? My Wega does not, I've tried, particularly as it has a Macrovision filter in it and I wanted to capitalize on that so my sister could watch my movies upstairs. As far as I can tell, the video out is simply a pass-through, I don't think any on-screen display shows up either, CC being part of that system, as well as the menus.

Right now I am considering selling a bunch of stuff I have to see if I can scrape together enough money to buy a projector, although I'm not sure which one, but I really want to have a CC system available to me in some form.

I would like to see the CC signal, something I imagine projectors are exempt from having a decoder. When I was looking up model features I didn't notice any mention of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I see you talking about closed caption decoders in here, and I searched for such a thing for a long long time now... I found a company called LInk Electronics, and I emailed them a few questions, but I never got an answer, so I thought I'd try the best forum around.

what I want (as a swede) is english subtitles from those region 1 dvd's that dont have them on as standard dvd subtitles. Like Band Of Brothers for example.

I use a Barco Graphics 400 CRT-projector and I'm getting a Lumagen scaler for it very soon.

I need a stand-alone closed caption decoder with LOW-LOSS in picture quality and with component video inputs & outputs aswell as bypass ofcourse.

I thought it should work to connect... dvd-player -> closed caption decoder -> scaler -> CRT ??

I dont mind paying a few hundred $ because I really need such a product. HTPC is no alternative to me, I know you have CC-decoding in software but, I want standalones.

PLEASE help me find one of those.... I tried to find specs for the Link Electronics products but I think there homepage is a mess...:!:!!!?!?!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The only DVD plaayer that I know to have CC-decoding is Toshiba SE9500

It use 14 bit video dac , it is on the markets (Asia) for almost a year , do not know the model No. in US , it is the only player that I know to include a CC decoder , work fine with most NTSC disc ! Sometime showing problem with fast speaking dialogues (cannot follow fast enough ), overall , very good performance !

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
TV Guardian is available at the world's largest retailer for much less than shown above.

·
Registered
99 Posts
what I was looking for was a standalone caption decoder with component in & out and with GOOD picture quality. $300-400 the budget...

I've seen a LINK ELECTRONICS model with S-VIDEO in/out called IEC-788 but its like $550 or something... could this work?? (Below)

component redcaption decoder s-video, pin21component red

component green-------------------------------------------component green

component blue---------------------------------------------component blue

then component------>lumagen scaler----->breakout to Barco 5xbnc RGBs

as I do today... pin21 is supposed to be on the croma or luminance pin in the s-video connector... the cc decoder adds the captions and sends the signal further...???

I'm no technician so I dont know half of what I'm talking about... ?!?!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
TV Guardian is available at the world's largest retailer for much less than shown above.
You mean the device that is designed to censor the audio and the CC signal? From their site, at least it looks like the censoring can be disabled. What I can't tell for sure is whether it really generates text from CC data onto the video stream?.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JAB
True, the latest beta of dscaler does support CC, although apparently not very reliably.

I was more interested in a solutions that did not involve a HTPC.
It has been a while since your original post, but now dScaler seems to be doing CC handling pretty decently, as well as anything else I have anyways. The CC system itself in some ways isn't very robust.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
You mean the device that is designed to censor the audio and the CC signal? From their site, at least it looks like the censoring can be disabled. What I can't tell for sure is whether it really generates text from CC data onto the video stream?.
Jeff, you can disable the censoring and use the device solely to generate closed captioning that appears on your screen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.