AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my HS20 two days ago and it is working very fine. One of the things I have not been able to figure out, is how to use the closed captioning, that is available with most programs. I haven't been able to figure out a way (other than with movies) to turn this on for normal TV broadcasts. Any help out there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you mean by "movies", DVD's, I know exactly what you are talking about. I called in to Sony about this and they said that the HS20 is a projector not a TV so Sony was not obligated by the 1990 law to add the closed caption decoder to the unit. I'm currently looking at other external devices to get around this hard-to-take info. You have to wondoer what the "subtitles" menu stuff is for in the HS20 (and HS10) though, don't you?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
The "subtitles" mode is for playing non-enhanced letterboxed DVDs where the subtitles are displayed in the black bar below the image.

I have at least two DVDs where I needed this feature ('Perfect Blue' and 'Sex and Lucia'). The regular 'zoom' and 'wide zoom' modes do not work for these DVDs because they zoom the image out so that image fills the panel and there is no space left at the bottom for the subtitles.

It does not have anything to do with CC decoding. That has to be done by a tuner and since an HS20 obviously does not have a tuner, there is no way for it to decode CC signals. If you turn on CC decoding on your tuner, the captions will be displayed on the HS20 (I do this all the time with my LG 3510a tuner).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information from bill jam and mac the knife. I now understand that I am stuck and also what the sub-titles is for. What I am not sure is when you say set CC in the tuner, what are you referring to? My tuner is a TiVo and it does not appear to have a CC setting either. Mabye there is a TiVo hack to turn it on :)

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I'm not a TiVo owner, so I can't help on that question.

In my case, I use a LG 3510a ATSC tuner with my HS20. It has a CC feature, so I just turn on CC at the tuner and the captions are added to the output signal (in my case DVI).

I don't know if TIVO has this type of capability or not. Perhaps you should post a question in the TiVo forum asking if TIVO can decode CC.

You may need a standalone CC decoder. The following link is for a standalone CC decode that has composite input and output. If you are using s-video or component output, you'll have a harder time finding a cheap decoder (there are profession CC decoders, but they are very expensive):

http://www.contactassist.com/clcadewircaj.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can get external captioners, but unfortunately none that I've seen support anything better than composite (although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

After researching this somewhat thoroughly several months ago, the only solution I found was to set up a HTPC with a video capture card. That at least allowed me to caption s-video sources.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
When I was googling for the link I gave above, I ran across some pro broadcast decoders that had component input and output (and I think I saw one with s-video). But they were in the thousands of dollars range, so I didn't bother linking to them. Just google on "closed caption decoder" (in quotes) and you'll find some pro units.

Your HTPC solution is definately a better option for someone that already has a computer rather than a pro decoder.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use the TVGuardian which is a profanity filter with a built-in CC decoder. You can turn off the filtering and just use it as a decoder. I have used it with Component and S-video connections. The default it "composite'" but there are directions on the site for using with Component or S-Video. I don't see any PQ degradation. I needed this because likewise the Infocus X1 projector does not have a CC decoder. I'm quite happy with this solution. The TV Guardian website has info. Tip: You can find this at a lot of Wal-Marts as well as Christian bookstores.

The filtering works quite well too if that's of interest to you.

JayW

·
Registered
505 Posts
List price BTW is $100.

JayW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The TVGuardian sounds like a good solution. Thanks for the info. I would never have figured that out. My only problem now is figuring out how to connect all the appropriate signals.

1. VCR is composite video into the receiver.

2. TiVo is S-Video into the receiver.

3. DVD is component video directly to the HS20. This one I can bypass, since most DVDs are captioned.

So if I use the semi-kludge described in the TVGuardian FAQ I have solved the major part of my problem.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It *is* a kludge, but an acceptible one. If your receiver does upconversion to component you'd be 100% happy. I decided to go S-video all the way with DirecTivo/SVHS VCR w/S-video out/Toshiba DVD Player using the S-video. Since my X1 FP looks great with S-video, it's an acceptable compromise. Sadly my Pioneer receiver will not upconvert to component.

JayW

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
DNR:

Unless I'm missing something (I'm assuming your receiver is doing the video switching), you shouldn't have to worry about how everything connects to your receiver. You should only have to worry about how your receiver connects to your HS20 since it is the connection from the receiver to the HS20 where the decoder would be inserted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing is ever simple:D

Receiver connections:

TiVo - S-Video

VCR - Composite Video

So on the HS20, the TiVo shows up on S-Video 2 and the VCR shows up on Video 2. I even bought a cable that goes from the VCR's composite to S-Video connector, but the HS20 is not fooled. It still only shows up on Video 2 and not on the S-Video. Mabye there is something else I can do with the VCR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.