AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere I saw a panel for a closet or out of sight location.

The purpose of the panel is to put all your switches/dimmers in there,

and then use scene controllers out in the room.

Anyone know about these panels ??

I thought I noted the site where I saw it, but cannot find it now.

Thanks!

- Knaf

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I'm a little confused. I sell commercial lighting and we rep some light control products (I'll admit that dimming isn't a huge line for us). Now, I've sold lighting integrator panels that use relays to control lighting loads in commercial applications. They remote mount in metal panels in a maintenance closet but they don't really dim anything. And I've sold wireless dimming systems that you only have to use a control (either a key chain fob, small remote, or a fancy touchscreen) to run an entire house. But, I guess I don't see why you wouldn't want to put the dimmer in the wall switch like normal. Is it the look that bothers you? Typically, remote control is great but sometimes you just want to walk into the kitchen and hit the button on the wall. You don't always want to find a remote on the other side of the room/house. The products that I have used at work (and think are pretty cool) are the Wattstopper brand - Miro series. Here is a link to their site if you want to look around: http://www.wattstopper.com/products/...Page_Miro.html

They have dimmers for incandescent and fluorescent lighting loads and fan controls as well. You can add on things like individual dimmers for table lamps (they just plug into the wall) and repeaters to make sure you have strong signal in a large house. I don't know what your budget is, but this might be one place to start looking.

Quick general construction tip: Remember to read how much you have to de-rate any dimmer that you put next to each other in the wall. Example: A 600W incandescent dimmer is rated for that 600W load, but if you put two 600W dimmers you typically have to derate each one down to 500W (due to heat). Now, that is only if you are putting them in a two gang box in the wall. I've seen too many people add up their lighting load and then plan on putting three dimmers in a wall next to each other. Then they later figure out that the two outside dimmers are only rated for 500W and the middle is derated down to 400W.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I saw something thing metal case-type.

I was thinking you did not need to de-rate dimmers with that,

which is important if you are putting 10 dimmers next to each other

- Knaf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Square] /forum/post/0

Well, I'm a little confused. ... But, I guess I don't see why you wouldn't want to put the dimmer in the wall switch like normal.

I am just trying to avoid having 4,5, and 6 switch plates all over (esp in kitchen)

vs

Having a scene controller (with laser keys) there instead, and keeping things simple

- Knaf

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
sknaf,

You are looking for a hardwired lighitng control system with centralized dimmer cabinets. Look at Lutron Homeworks and Vantage Controls. These are the two top central lighting control systems.

www.vantagecontrols.com

http://lutron.com/products/wholehomecontrols/

These are typically specced into new construction since all the lighitng loads are home run to the dimmer panels. The only devices in the rooms are keypads that control whatever loads are programmed into them.

If your main concern is aesthetics, then a central lighting control system is your choice. It will be dealer only and it will be expensive. Think any where from $5 per foot on the very low end to upwards of $15 or $20 per foot on the very high end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bpos! That is what I was thinking of.

Here is the PCS web page LCP-U

And the spec sheet

BTW ~ bpos would have posted, but you need 5 post before putting URL's in a post.

- Knaf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 /forum/post/0

Plywood would do the same thing as that big box.

I was thinking you do not need to derate dimmers with this, but I suppose if you spaced plywood out that could be the same.

Do you buy single gang boxes and mount them to the 2x4/plywood box wall ??

The code inspector where I am is very to the book, so I want to make sure all is good with code.

- Knaf

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you are installing up to 20 switches in a location, it's nice to have a hinged door to swing the switches out for wiring.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
No doubt that bpoz is correct. But I have done the other way too. Yes, single gang boxes mounted to the plywood. Never done it in new construction, not sure if it would pass an inspection or not. Its not something I would do often, but it has been done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think what you are asking is what I did with the i-line lighting systems from EDT. I had 4 locations with up to 8 switches each (in 2 quad gang boxes). The box are all connected on one Cat5. I have 7 6-button multiswitches that you can program different scenes with. While the scene buttons work well and the install is clean...the is abit of functionality lost to juect control one switch when you want to.

http://www.edt.biz/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts