AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read every guide and every forum thread I could find on ClownBD, but nothing seems to clearly explain the differences between Movie Output Formats.

TS

M2TS

Blu-ray

Blu-ray +ISO

Can anybody please point me to a guide that describes each output and possibly talks about the pros/cons of each?

I want unconverted video and audio (just the main movie, the main HD audio soundtrack, and English subtitles). I want to play the movies in MediaBrowser/7MC using MB's external player feature. I haven't decided between TMT3 and PDVD9 (waiting for them to sort out any bugs with bitstreaming using the new Clarksdale chips).

I *think* I did exactly this with the movie The Hangover, but the TS file only came out to be 14.9GB, which seems a little small???

Also, for just the main movie, do you want both chapters and the video stream selected? What exactly does chapters do? And under the TrueHD/AC3 English 5.1 track is this: (embedded AC3, Undetermined, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnom -27db). What in the world does this mean (it defaulted unchecked and I left it unchecked).

I really hate to start a thread for this, but I couldn't find the answers to these anywhere
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
TS - mpeg2 transport stream

M2TS - file format used for the main movie on Blu-Ray discs; strips out all other files from disc and creates a single M2TS file; requires the use of a playback app that is capable of playing back individual M2TS files, such as Nero Showtime 4.

Blu-Ray - keeps original disc structure intact and copies the contents of the disc over as a set of files

Blu-Ray + iso - creates an iso image of the original disc; you can mount the image in VirtualCloneDrive and treat it like a virtual drive. Your PC will see it as another physical drive and treat it just like you're playing back an original disc in a BD-ROM

Note that Clown_BD can strip out whatever extras you want and leave the rest in the format you specify as outlined above. I believe the TS and M2TS formats will merge the selected soundtracks and subtitles into the single file format.

For detailed info on Clown_BD you should try the support thread at the Slysoft forum or check the author's website.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

I guess I'm mostly confused about what the "preferred" method for ripping is if I want to only keep the main movie/main soundtrack/English subtitles without compression. And I would rather not mess with ISO files if at all possible.

I guess if ripping to VIDEO_TS files is the best method (no considering ISOs) for DVDs, which of the BD outputs is the equivalent method? Is it Blu-ray since it keeps the file structure? Can PVD9 and/or TMT3 play a folder structure? I've read so many varying opinions on the matter.

I'll ask the last couple of specific ClownBD questions over at Slysoft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you need to convert M2TS to popular formats, Tipard M2TS converter is your best choice. Tipard M2TS converter is your best solution software to convert M2TS and other videos and audios to ones that are playable on all kinds of portable players such as Apple TV, PSP, Zune, Pocket PC, PS3, Archos, Creative Zen and others because this format is high quality raw AVCHD video files. They are very large in size and can't be presented on simple player. So we often need to convert M2TS files to other widely-used video or audio formats.

This powerful M2TS converter can help you to convert M2TS to AVI , M2TS to MP4 , M2TS to MKV , and M2TS to FLV

·
Registered
595 Posts
i think the "preferred" way to rip, from my own reading, is to do a movie only blu ray iso. Not sure about mediabrowser, though i think it will also, but My Movies will automatically mount blu ray iso's for you and let them play back in TMT3/PDVD9. I think one of the reasons is that pdvd9 doesnt support folder playback for blu ray. You pretty much dont see many people ripping to folder and keeping m2ts, at least i havent.

that said, the actual most popular way is probably to rip to .mkv and convert audio to flac.

i do go the .iso route myself however.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can't get MP to play ISO files for the life of me. They work fine when I manually mount them via Daemon Tools Lite, but once I put it in MP and try playing it from there, it says something along the lines of "failed to mount image". I've followed all the directions in MP settings for specifying the virtual drive, adding iso format, selecting auto-mount image, etc. But it still doesn't work!!!

Any ideas? Could it be a problem with the "Lite" portion of the program or something?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a bit of trial/error I decided to rip to folders (Blu-ray option) like I do for DVDs.

My rips are playing perfectly in the trial of TMT3 I downloaded and I don't need to take an extra step of mounting the ISO (although I'm sure there are ways to automate that).

And if anyone else was wondering... chapter literally means chapters structure. If I didn't select that option I could skip chapters and the rip had no time.

And the other embedded/undetermined audio track just seems to be there. You can't select it or deselect it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as it is close to my question...

ClownBD supports TS, M2TS, Blu-Ray Folders, and ISO.

My system (Dune 3) supports probably all of them I think (not sure about TS)...

Wondering about the pro's and con's. I don't want to go the mkv route because, as I think someone elsewhere suggested, you're "stuck" with what you get. By using ClownBD to remove tracks and subtitles, I'm saving 12-15GB of disk space, but still able to get lossless PQ and AQ.

So between the four outputs ClownBD supports are there any issues that might drive me towards one or the other?

I was planning on doing just Blu-Ray folders - I figured that was easiest to mess with later if I wanted to. Any tools that could work with a BD could work with a blu-ray folders config I assume.

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
The only issue with MKV is that it does not support the PGS subtitles found in Blu-ray movies, yet. They have to be converted to IDX with BDSup2Sub, which is a lower quality subtitle format. Other than that you have the same original video and audio from the Blu-ray disc. They can be demuxed from the MKV container and remuxed into TS, M2TS, Blu-ray folder structure, ISO, etc.

I would go with M2TS or Blu-ray folder structure. Personally I don't like the folder structure option as it is stored as many files/folders in which some or all of the files can be corrupted, deleted, or moved accidentally. It is my preference to have as few files as possible per movie. It will work with everything except PowerDVD, they disabled support for folder playback.

TS does not support chapters and though M2TS is said to support chapters I have had issues with them. I use MKV...if you don't have a problem with the smaller subtitle files (I honestly don't notice a difference, it's still 1080p. A good comparison is PGS is to DTS-HD as IDX is to DTS. Smaller file size and not as much information, but good enough for subtitles) then I would try that route as well.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer0024 /forum/post/18725079

Resurrecting this thread as it is close to my question...

ClownBD supports TS, M2TS, Blu-Ray Folders, and ISO.

My system (Dune 3) supports probably all of them I think (not sure about TS)...

Wondering about the pro's and con's. I don't want to go the mkv route because, as I think someone elsewhere suggested, you're "stuck" with what you get. By using ClownBD to remove tracks and subtitles, I'm saving 12-15GB of disk space, but still able to get lossless PQ and AQ.

So between the four outputs ClownBD supports are there any issues that might drive me towards one or the other?

I was planning on doing just Blu-Ray folders - I figured that was easiest to mess with later if I wanted to. Any tools that could work with a BD could work with a blu-ray folders config I assume.

Thanks

If you're building a long term movie library, then use clownBD to rip native BD folders (main feature/HD audio/PGS subs). Combine with this Media Browser and TMT3's integrated MCE 10ft interface you'll have hardware acceleration 100% of the time on AVC/h264 and VC-1 video content as well as bitstreaming HD audio.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks guys - much appreciated.

My thoughts:

1) Subtitles are critical for me, not because I have really poor hearing - I just am constantly having to make up for directors who KNOW what someone is saying and don't have to interpret a word that was either mumbled or said really quickly. So I use subtitles a lot and don't want to mess with OCR software (or whatever is needed to make it work in mkv)

2) Concern about files going missing or deleted is noted - but if it's on a HD that is exclusively used for movie storage, I don't intend to be messing with it very much.

3) Thanks for the info on TMT - but since I'm using my Dune 3 Prime as a streamer, I don't think the Media Browser comment is applicable to my situation (except if I wanted to watch on my PC, which defeats the purpose of my Dune)

Thanks again - really much appreciated

1 - 15 of 15 Posts