AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i just dont know but maybe its my ear but my CLR2002 doesnt seem to be very clear.. i dont know its like i hear random static at high pitched sounds , its hard to explain, could it be that they sent me a defective center channel? Auddysey doesnt report anything tho when i calibrate.. could it be theres something wrong with the tweeter? it just happens sometimes i think that in the high pitched sounds it gets disorted with like a milisecond static somehow but i notice it i dont know.. I have the Onkyo SR606 which has a Buzz issue when i raise the volume(around 60( (known issue with this model) , could it be that intefering with the sound and injecting some kind of sound which i notice? maybe what i hear is normal cuz the speaker sounds normal but sometimes it sounds like theres just something there in the sound in high pitched parts.. to everyone else they tell me the speaker sounds fine.. but usually i just listen and it sounds great but theres this moment when i think i hear something in a high pitched part of sound and i return to thinking to myself what was that.. if theres a problem with the tweeter or woofers or any other problem with the center would auddysey have detected it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/15531325


hey everyone, i just dont know but maybe its my ear but my CLR2002 doesnt seem to be very clear.. i dont know its like i hear random static at high pitched sounds , its hard to explain, could it be that they sent me a defective center channel? Auddysey doesnt report anything tho when i calibrate.. could it be theres something wrong with the tweeter? it just happens sometimes i think that in the high pitched sounds it gets disorted with like a milisecond static somehow but i notice it i dont know.. I have the Onkyo SR606 which has a Buzz issue when i raise the volume(around 60( (known issue with this model) , could it be that intefering with the sound and injecting some kind of sound which i notice? maybe what i hear is normal cuz the speaker sounds normal but sometimes it sounds like theres just something there in the sound in high pitched parts.. to everyone else they tell me the speaker sounds fine.. but usually i just listen and it sounds great but theres this moment when i think i hear something in a high pitched part of sound and i return to thinking to myself what was that.. if theres a problem with the tweeter or woofers or any other problem with the center would auddysey have detected it?

You have to use process of elimination.

Try it with DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Cable box, satellite box ect......

Try it with all of your sources .........do you get the noise with all sources?

A few days ago you were having trouble hooking up the speaker and having problems with the wires and the jumpers. Did you get that fixed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i got that fixes it was my mistake there but im not sure here.. It happens on all sources


One thing, my reciever the sr606 has a buzz issue like any sr606, u can hear the buzz when u raise the volume high around 60, its not a big buzz but if u put ur ear next to the speaker u will hear it. Now could i be hearing to mostly from the clr2002 because i have the volume of the clr2002 3 notches up in volume than the main speakers and so its most obvious there? Maybe the buzz is blending with the sound and disorting it.. I think im gonna upgrade my reciever to the onkyo sr706 which is not prone to the buzz problem u know,i called definitive aswell as abt and they told me that if the speaker was defective then it would have had bad sound completely from the start..


Could it be the buzz at high volumes which is the reciver's know issue, be blending with the sound and be noticeable at high volumes and specially from the center cuz i have the volume of thr ceter the highest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/15531325


................could it be that they sent me a defective center channel?

Doubtful. It could just be a raspiness at certain frequencies that that tweeter is going to always have. This is an unfortunate characteristic of metal tweeters (I think that speaker's tweeter is metal). Or it could be that you are driving your receiver to clipping and that is what you are hearing. Or it could be that you have damaged it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think thatsvthe right word, raspiness. I never pushef my reciever and it never cliped. Thats what i ment.. At some frequency i hear something which i cant find a word to describe.. Raspiness i guess would be the word, the tweeter is a dome tweeter btw, not a metal tweeter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/15537520


I think thatsvthe right word, raspiness. I never pushef my reciever and it never cliped. Thats what i ment.. At some frequency i hear something which i cant find a word to describe.. Raspiness i guess would be the word, the tweeter is a dome tweeter btw, not a metal tweeter

No, it is a metal tweeter (pure aluminum).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/15537552


No, it is a metal tweeter (pure aluminum).


Oh sorry , thanks for the info. so what sivadselim said regarding the raspiness is true indeed? it makes sense .. im probably not used to that which is why i was thinking it was somewhat damaged , the speaker sounds terrific, its just that as some frequencies and for a milisecond i hear that "raspiness" but its very odd and completely unexpected ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/15535798


yes i got that fixes it was my mistake there but im not sure here.. It happens on all sources


One thing, my reciever the sr606 has a buzz issue like any sr606, u can hear the buzz when u raise the volume high around 60, its not a big buzz but if u put ur ear next to the speaker u will hear it. Now could i be hearing to mostly from the clr2002 because i have the volume of the clr2002 3 notches up in volume than the main speakers and so its most obvious there? Maybe the buzz is blending with the sound and disorting it.. I think im gonna upgrade my reciever to the onkyo sr706 which is not prone to the buzz problem u know,i called definitive aswell as abt and they told me that if the speaker was defective then it would have had bad sound completely from the start..


Could it be the buzz at high volumes which is the reciver's know issue, be blending with the sound and be noticeable at high volumes and specially from the center cuz i have the volume of thr ceter the highest

Do you hear the buzz in other spkrs. or just the center? Is it the same sound regardless of the source? Also, I do not agree with one of the above posters who says that metal tweeters normally make noise. I have a complete Def. Tech. system, and have never had the tweeters making noise. Your CLR 2002 is a very nice center channel spkr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/15537520


..........the tweeter is a dome tweeter btw, not a metal tweeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/15537552


No, it is a metal tweeter (pure aluminum).

Right. It is a "metal dome tweeter".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15537917


Do you hear the buzz in other spkrs. or just the center? Is it the same sound regardless of the source? Also, I do not agree with one of the above posters who says that metal tweeters normally make noise. I have a complete Def. Tech. system, and have never had the tweeters making noise. Your CLR 2002 is a very nice center channel spkr.

I didn't say they "make noise". Metal dome tweeters have particular physical characteristics that can cause raspiness. Read about "metal dome tweeter break-up". Most speakers incorporating metal tweeters are designed to minimize this, but it still happens. How audible it really is varies from speaker to speaker. Whether that is what he is hearing or not, I do not know. That was but one of the possibilities I presented. I am a big fan of metal dome tweeters, btw.




Try tightening any screws on the front of the speaker that are holding the drivers (both the woofers and the tweeter) in place, lamonsosa. Sometimes if a screw is even slightly loose, you will hear a vibration at higher volumes. Also, what do you have the speaker sitting upon? What have you done, if anything, to insulate its cabinet from the surface upon which it sits? You need to place something relatively soft between it and what it is sitting upon in order to prevent any cabinet vibrations from being amplified.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15538392


I didn't say they "make noise". Metal dome tweeters have particular physical characteristics that can cause raspiness. Read about "metal dome tweeter break-up". Most speakers incorporating metal tweeters are designed to minimize this, but it still happens. How audible it really is varies from speaker to speaker. Whether that is what he is hearing or not, I do not know. That was but one of the possibilities I presented. I am a big fan of metal dome tweeters, btw.




Try tightening any screws on the front of the speaker that are holding the drivers (both the woofers and the tweeter) in place, lamonsosa. Sometimes if a screw is even slightly loose, you will hear a vibration at higher volumes. Also, what do you have the speaker sitting upon? What have you done, if anything, to insulate its cabinet from the surface upon which it sits? You need to place something relatively soft between it and what it is sitting upon in order to prevent any cabinet vibrations from being amplified.


Sivadselim,

Okay I'll find and read about "metal tweeter break up", but until then I will assume that it doesn't exist. I believe lamonsosa's LCR 2002 is new and the grill cloth is not very easy to remove. There is no reason to believe that the spkrs are loose. He had trouble with the jumpers (they got bent ) and he had trouble with connecting the spkr wire. I don't think that it's a good idea to get him to remove the grill cloth ect.. If you read his last thread you might agree with me that there is nothing wrong with the LCR 2002. I could be wrong , but I think the problem is in the connections not the spkr. Also the spkr is 30 lbs. and the cabinet is very solid /non-resonant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i connected 2 feet to the front of the speaker to angle the speaker upwards to the listening area because i dont have the speaker at ear hight, its impossible for me.(i used the feet that were included with the speaker)


I didnt install a foot to the back of the speaker cuz if i install a foot in the back of the speaker also then the speaker will not be facing upwards to the listening area so the back part of the speaker is on the tv stand's shelf(glass shelf)


I dont think there is something wrong with the speaker and i dont want to think so either but u know , i defintley dont want to take the sock of or anything like that.. i dont hear any buzz at all, its just that its something with the sound that it produces at some situations that alarms me.


I called abt.com and he said he could exchange the speaker for me but then again i dont know if i want to go through that hassle and that maybe my speaker is infact working perfectly and that im just not used to the kind of sound it produces at the high fequency or something like that.. Its a gorgeous speaker by all means.. thing is that it sounds like its fine for the most part, well actually it works normally all the time, its that sometimes , the way it produces a sound sounds unusual to me.. im sure i have the speaker hooked up fine ESPO77, it was a mistake i did before , i got it right this time, i even unpluged it again and hooked it up vice versa and then reversed it yet again to be sure and it worked each time..


Should i exchange the speaker even tho its working fine or should i just keep on checking it out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts
try out one of your bp6's as a center and see how that sounds


it has the same tweeter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15538969


............but until then I will assume that it doesn't exist.

I think that is a great idea. In fact, forget I even said it. Seriously. I will, too. Cuz I don't want to hear it any more than you do.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15538969


I believe lamonsosa's LCR 2002 is new and the grill cloth is not very easy to remove. There is no reason to believe that the spkrs are loose. He had trouble with the jumpers (they got bent ) and he had trouble with connecting the spkr wire. I don't think that it's a good idea to get him to remove the grill cloth ect.. If you read his last thread you might agree with me that there is nothing wrong with the LCR 2002. I could be wrong , but I think the problem is in the connections not the spkr. Also the spkr is 30 lbs. and the cabinet is very solid /non-resonant.

I know what's been going on with him. Who knows what he is hearing, exactly? And who knows what is causing it? I do not think it is his connections, though. His speaker is working. Even at 30lbs it may be vibrating his stand/console. Hell, it could be anything vibrating, for that matter. Loose screws are not uncommon.


If I had to place bets, though, I'd say he probably blew his speaker long ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/15539635


try out one of your bp6's as a center and see how that sounds

Oy! And if it doesn't make "the sound" what are we going to conclude?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i didnt blow the speaker lol.. if i did then sound would have been messed up.. the speaker sounds just fine, and im not hearing any special noise or anyting like that, its just that sometimes the way a specific sound( i cant tell which sound) it just sounds a little wiered.. i think it might be normal..


and its not like i can test with the bp6s, its gonna work just fine.. im not quiete sure what im even reffering to as a problem yet it may be completely normal.. but i just think its a little unsuall


I have one question, obviously i have set the volume level of the cente channel the HIGHEST in the reciever. however when i play a game like NBA 2K9 or FIFA 09 ,the commentary is not very loud, i can hear the surrounds and left and rights louder than the center even tho the volume of the center is set the highest, in movies its perfectly fine tho, the center is high as it should be but then again in movies the center is whats playing most of the sound lol
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top