AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our condo clubhouse might get some $$$ next month to upgrade the smallish 42" we have hanging on the wall. Our clubhouse is pretty-well lit, though sunlight won't hit the TV directly (South facing) and the windows are 20' away on both sides. Tall ceiling with lights dangling still probably 12' above the ground.

We're not looking for glitzy features, Internet access, or even ultra-thin. Most important thing is SIZE (we'd like to get 60") and good PQ for sports (fast-moving MMS response).

I figure we'll have about $1,500 give-or-take. Ideally, the 'hot' TV from 12-18 months ago would be perfect if we can still get it new (don't want used or refurbished or buying from some obscure online place) since we don't need the current state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line. TV is going to be used for group watching and bonding and we just want something bigger than 42" to go with the new furniture (upgrade from aluminum chairs !
).

Center of TV will be about 7-8' high on a wall and we'll probably be watching from 10-12' distance, maybe a bit more back or further from the sides.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it me or does the price really jump ABOVE 60" (maybe even 55") for LCD's ?

The extra 5" seems to really jack up the price; not sure it's the size, lack of price competition at that size, or because they add alot of features on their largest models.

42" to 55" adds $500 or so.....to 60" adds another $500 or so.....but to 65" adds $1,000 or more.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Obviously, prices increase with any size increase. And it's even worse in 60+ inch panels as they're not as mass produced as the other sizes yet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Phillips stick with the plasma thread you'll be lucky to find anything here comparable to the ones mentioned over there. Just like the above have mentioned the lcds of decent quality jump too high.

The only ones I'd even mention are the Sharp's lc60le632u or the lc60le830 or 831 both of those being a little high on your budget scale.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FINALLY !!! Looks like our funds finally came through....we are trying to stretch for a 70" but the costs (~$1,500-$1,700) are really a jump up from the 60" (~$875 - $1,000).

Again, we just want a QUALITY TV....our Clubhouse seats are anywhere from 8-15' away (the TV will be wall-mounted about 6-8' feet high).

I'd appreciate some updated suggestions....again, ideally I am looking for a "hot TV" a year ago that is now being discounted so it's cheaper. A new state-of-the-art big TV will be unaffordable and besides, we have no use for NetFlix, fancy LCD/LED technologies, Internet access, etc. The guys want a big TV for football, the gals for movies and soaps.

I'd like to hear your best, affordable 70" options.

Thanks !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.