AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen lots of postings about the CM 777x Titan preamp, but not much about the CM Spartan preamp . . . is the Spartan any good? (I ask because I'm still having trouble getting good signals on some local digital stations and a local dealer has the Spartan on the shelf.)


Getting these UHF DTV stations sure seems much harder than getting analog VHF stations . . . but I think that is only because of the frequency range. I.e. it is also much harder to get UHF analog stations than to get VHF analog stations. When the FCC "takes back" the second channel in 2006 (yeah, yeah, I know it ain't gonna happen, but lets pretend) are they going to allow the stations to move their digital broadcasting down to their original VHF slot? That would sure be nice. VHF seems to have much better propagation properties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
is the Spartan any good?
Yes. They do not have as much gain as the Titan series, about the same noise figure and most are 300 ohm in and 75 ohm out. The lower gain could be a benefit if there is strong RF levels present.

Quote:
Getting these UHF DTV stations sure seems much harder than getting analog VHF stations
Depends, many folks that get snowy, ghost ridden pictures, get perfect pictures via DTV. If you have RF nulls and/or severe multipath then you will have reception problems. Unfortunately, about the only way to know is to have someone come to your site and do an RF analysis using a spectrum analyzer.


------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV


[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 04-01-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Wendell R. Breland:
Yes. They do not have as much gain as the Titan series, about the same noise figure and most are 300 ohm in and 75 ohm out. The lower gain could be a benefit if there is strong RF levels present.
That might be the one for me then. I'm 26 miles from the towers and get 60% or so on most of the DTV channels but they often break-up and it is really annoying. If I can boost them up to 80% I think I should be fine.

300 Ohm in is fine . . . I'll just remove the 300 to 75 balun that is on the antenna.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wendell R. Breland:
Depends, many folks that get snowy, ghost ridden pictures, get perfect pictures via DTV. If you have RF nulls and/or severe multipath then you will have reception problems. Unfortunately, about the only way to know is to have someone come to your site and do an RF analysis using a spectrum analyzer.
Well there are lots of DTV and Analog stations on the tower (sutro tower) so I have many signals to look at. The VHF analog stations come in great but the UHF analog stations (such as 44) are pretty snowy and broken. I guess that is partly due to the fact that my antenna, CM3018, is more of a VHF antenna than a UHF antenna. I think I just need a bit of a boost and the CM Spartan may do the trick.


It seems like most generic stores (Home Depot, Fry's, etc.) are mostly carrying antennas geared more toward VHF . . . they need to start changing their buying.

 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top