AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make a long story short.

Went to Fry's, bought CM3010 (with 3048 amp). Went to RS to get SPL meter, saw the RS 15-2187, bought that to. [why... it said up to 50 miles]

Opened CM3010 box, was disappointed not see mounting hardware. Opened RS box saw everything. Hooked up RS, get good signal but don't have a signal tester so can't get a good read on signal strength. [Own a kdp-51ws655 sony]

I read reviews on RS antennas people say they are crap.

I need to acquire a signal meter but RS is really the only thing i have local and according to their website they have none in my store. I live in the 76209 zip code and the furthest tower from me is 45.38 miles.

So the question....anyone know if my signal strength will get better with the CM3010(with 3048) or should I just return it?

----

PS. Its 2:39am... I can't go into the attic to switch em out right now the woman is a sleep...and the superbowl is today/tomorrow and don't want it to drop signal.. it hasn't yet... its late.

-----

edit #2... MUHAHAHAHA... i was playing with my tv.. i found a diagnostics menu that was not there before... it shows up with you have something hooke dup to the coax.. and the sucker is not in the manual... the diagnostics shows signal strength.. i'll post more later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
-The setup-

Single story house.

distance according to google to the farthest tower... 45miles

mounting point: attic north side of house.. all towers are south of me

150'' rg6 cable between antenna and tv.

-

I hooked up the cm3010 and ran through all my channels.. here are the results..

I have 18 stations broadcasting 30 individual HD channels...

With the RS and its signal amp connected all but 3 stations (5 channels) where in the mid 80's to mid 90's in terms of signal strength. My diagnostics screen also has SNR(dB) and AGC(%) but with my limited knowledge I wouldn't know what to say about the numbers.

The RS signal strength dropped between 10-20 points when the power was removed from its signal amp.

now the CM...

Well I am a bit disappointed.... The CM doesn't work AT ALL (signal strength less then 40%) with the signal amp disconnected. But with it connected I got pretty much the same numbers across the board in comparison to the RS antenna. I lost ONE channel however, signal dropped to 30% and on the RS it was 70%. The auto scanner also did not discover any new channels.

So ... any opinions???

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Maybe if you tried a stronger amp with either antenna, like the CM 7777, you'd get even better results.

I tried one with a CM 3010 a year or two back, and it performed pretty well for me.

But truthfully, and especially since it's in the attic where you can't use any HOA, or having to get up on the roof as an excuse, at that distance you should be using a larger sized, real antenna - as large as you can fit in there.

In fact, if you can get it in there, the RS VU-190XR, or even the RS VU-90XR with a CM7777 should give you much better results.

·
Registered
246 Posts
fdacat,

A rat shack 15-2160 should work for you. With the game on fox, this antenna will work for you just fine. It may need an amp, by try without. A frys alternative is a CM 4221.

Miner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i bought the monster... 160'' of boomieness.

Everything comes in just as good or better then the small amped antennas.. still need to do some minor adjustments (still don't have a decent compass)

I think I'll pair it up with an amp and get a decent compass, ran out of time to do minor adjustments.

I'll post pics when I finish.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Well, at least the VU 190XR will get you the hi-vhf channels if there are any there now, or if any will end up there later. And it will also get you the analog VHF's for at least the next year, and maybe the LP ones for awhile after that, if you have any.

I forgot to even ask you your zip, but I figured since you had already bought from RS, you could put the return toward it (and they do take returns on the large antennas if you didn't like it, unlike some). Their antennas are not crap by a long shot - they're just not the best choice for outdoors because they're rather flimsy and lightweight.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner /forum/post/13016343

A rat shack 15-2160 should work for you. With the game on fox, this antenna will work for you just fine.

I wasn't sure what that model was at first, but I see now it's the U-75R, and I agree it's a good uhf antenna. I was using it with a CM7777 for about a year 'till recently, and I was getting stations over 60 miles away with it.

I actually thought of it, but I figured since he said it was going in an attic, what the heck - go for the big, full range one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with the flimsy and light weight statement. I wouldn't dream of mounting the 'beast' on my roof. I am in the 76209 zip and do have ONE station ( the abc affiliate ) in the vhf band. It makes my GF happy that Grey's Anatomy comes in strong. Had it not been for that one station I would have bought a UHF only antenna and mounted it to the back wall of my house.

I like the attic installation over roof mounts just for aesthetics. Also, a neighbor down the block had a large antenna on a tripod type mount bolted to his roof. We had some high winds a few weeks a go and it blow it over and ripped up the roof.

Quick notes ... I am 11 degrees off of the optimal angle and its an unamped signal. Being 11 degrees off means I don't get ONE station that is on the eastern edge of my 'cone'. [or whatever you call the V shaped area where your reception is good]

This week i return the other antennas and get me a CM 7777.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If high winds ripped the roof off then the antenna mount wasn't installed correctly. there are a couple of tripod mounts in my neighborhood that all survived the 4 hurricanes that came near here 4 years ago-Charley and others. We had winds 80-100 mph here and those antennas survived fine; hope he has them installed the right way this time.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/13022417

Well, at least the VU 190XR will get you the hi-vhf channels if there are any there now, or if any will end up there later. And it will also get you the analog VHF's for at least the next year, and maybe the LP ones for awhile after that, if you have any.

I forgot to even ask you your zip, but I figured since you had already bought from RS, you could put the return toward it (and they do take returns on the large antennas if you didn't like it, unlike some). Their antennas are not crap by a long shot - they're just not the best choice for outdoors because they're rather flimsy and lightweight.

I've had the VU-190XR for over 8 years now, chimney mounted and it's taken everything Michigan weather could throw at it with zero problems. I get HD on UHF from two markets, one in Toledo over 50 miles away.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
if you're mounting a tripod - you HAVE to make sure the legs are screwed into the Joists - not just the plywood - or that can happen. My DBS dish is on a tripod roof mount with ZERO problems (at least relating to the mount itself) - I just added a RD UHF75 to it to get a PBS station.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/13028602

I've had the VU-190XR for over 8 years now, chimney mounted and it's taken everything Michigan weather could throw at it with zero problems. I get HD on UHF from two markets, one in Toledo over 50 miles away.

I don't know if the elements are braced better on the larger model, but I replaced my U-75R on a whim with the VU-90XR last summer (got it real cheap), and during the first wind storm that we've had since (70 MPH gusts), the longest, rear left element bent inward (well, not bent - just disengaged from the lock). It's now parallel with the spine, and my reception of WBBM (3) is spotty, depending on the atmospheric conditions - mostly just on the 2nd TV with the longer coax run, (although I can still get CBS from 2 other markets on UHF). Another storm of the same we had a week or so back didn't seem to do any further damage, though. But we really get some pretty bad ones here once or twice a year like that, and I was kind of half-expecting it to happen. The VHF elements have no kind of bracing at all on them (I think the model is mostly designed to be used for UHF/hi-VHF). I have to get the ladder up and try to reach it with a pole or broomstick to push it back out when the weather permits. At least it ain't broke.

I get many stations from Milwaukee regularly with it, from about 61 miles away (also, all of Chicago, at 41 miles, and Rockford, at 45), and the U-75R gave me similar results with UHF. I had the CM 7777, but it only lasted less than a year. So I replaced it with the AP 8275, which upped the lo-VHF some, and that's been working great so far. So yeah, I'd say they're definitely competent antennas. I'll probably eventually replace it with one of those extra-sturdy, new Winegard UHF/hi-VHF models after 2/'09.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What is/was the height of your U75R? Bought one myself 2 weeks ago and am pretty pleased with it at 22 feet off the ground here in central Florida. Right now its at a little above roof height because it sways too m uch in the wind. With the winds here it needs to be guyed so as soon as I get a guy ring or some eye-clamps I'll guy it back at 22 feet. it does great for me on our channel 7 and 12 digital stations and all the local UHF digitals; i should be able to pull in channel 40 analog in Sarasota from here but it's pretty snowy, probably would need an amp for a better signal. Thinking of adding an all channel VHF antenna below it to see what I can pull in from here north of Tampa; but am really pleased with the U75R performance so far. This is a really lousy area to purchase a good antenna retail; the only good source, Dow Electronics no longer sells retail in Tampa. I used to install antennas for people in the 70's here and there were several places to purchase good antennas but no more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts