AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with this antenna for HDTV reception? How does it compare with the CM4248?

------------------

Yes sir, I'd like to increase my credit limit!?

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE SEEING HDTV, BAN HDCP, DVI, 5C!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I live in a suburb of Atlanta and the stealth attenna has worked great for me at picking all of the Atlanta digital signals. I don't use a rotor, but since I'm quite a ways north of the transmitters, they're all in the same general direction.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys.

I gather that the 3010 may not work if the transmission towers are not in one specific direction?

------------------

Yes sir, I'd like to increase my credit limit!?

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE SEEING HDTV, BAN HDCP, DVI, 5C!

·
Registered
196 Posts
The problem with the CM 3010 is that it does not have much gain at UHF frequencies. It works okay for VHF channels in some locations.

A modification has been made to the UHF element (a half-wave dipole) to boost gain at UHF frequencies. It's not a tremendous performer as a result, but works noticeably better with this modification.

The half-wave elements are replaced with a full-wave dipole antenna connected through the front of the antenna. VHF operation does not appear to be compromised.

Better choices for UHF reception would be CM 3021, CM3022, and CM3023.

KC

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
For the record, this antenna was getting RAVE reviews on this very board 1.5-2 years ago and still does AFAIK. I have had one for almost 3 years, live 40 miles from my towers and would not HAVE anything else. Mine never burps and I hardly EVER have to move the rotor. Interestingly enough, I have another digital affiliate at the exact opposite direction from my home that's about 70 miles from me and I get a 80% signal from them w/o ever moving the Stealth.

I will admit that terrain will dictate whether the antenna is right for your area but since you're in Alexandria and you're probably going for the DC/Baltimore affiliates, I'd be VERY surprised if it doesn't work perfectly for you. Another interesting note is that it does not "fly" as well as it looks like it would. I did some modifications to mine to brace it to handle wind better being in hurricane and nor'easter alley. In your area, you might want to consider wind as well. I lost two (in all fairness one was in a BAD nor'easter and the other was in a hurricane) before I got the last one and did my brace thing to it.

Sorry folks. I respectfully disagree with the above posters. I had my local affiliates' engineers out here (WRAL-I'm a test site for them) and we tried MANY other antennas on my house and the StealthTenna beat everything else hands-down both on reception and the meters in the truck.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan:
For the record, this antenna was getting RAVE reviews on this very board 1.5-2 years ago and still does AFAIK. I have had one for almost 3 years, live 40 miles from my towers and would not HAVE anything else. Mine never burps and I hardly EVER have to move the rotor. Interestingly enough, I have another digital affiliate at the exact opposite direction from my home that's about 70 miles from me and I get a 80% signal from them w/o ever moving the Stealth.

I will admit that terrain will dictate whether the antenna is right for your area but since you're in Alexandria and you're probably going for the DC/Baltimore affiliates, I'd be VERY surprised if it doesn't work perfectly for you. Another interesting note is that it does not "fly" as well as it looks like it would. I did some modifications to mine to brace it to handle wind better being in hurricane and nor'easter alley. In your area, you might want to consider wind as well. I lost two (in all fairness one was in a BAD nor'easter and the other was in a hurricane) before I got the last one and did my brace thing to it.

Sorry folks. I respectfully disagree with the above posters. I had my local affiliates' engineers out here (WRAL-I'm a test site for them) and we tried MANY other antennas on my house and the StealthTenna beat everything else hands-down both on reception and the meters in the truck.

In a very mountainous region like San Diego where I live the 3010 could barely get me one channel but with the UHF only 8 bay bowtie 4228A mounted on the same chimney I got all the OTA channels with a strong signal. So really I think it boils down to where you live and what will work best for you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I live across the bay from San Francisco and except when the station has been having problems I get my San Francisco digital stations perfectly.

We also have a couple of stations coming from San Jose, which is about 90 degrees in the other direction from where I point towards San Francisco. San Jose is also a lot farther away from me then San Francisco is. To my surprise, I was able to get those stations in as well. Lower "signal strength" to use the DTC-100's terminology but they come in pretty good.

Basically, from my experience I have to recommend the Stealthtenna. Now it may not work in certain situations, but I have had nothing but success with it. And best of all, it is practically invisible on my roof.

--Andrew

·
Registered
437 Posts
Go with the 4248 or even the 4228. I used the 3010 and got horrible reception but I'm in a multipath hell hole which the 4248 and 4228 excel. I personaly use a 4228 and I recieve all the digital channels from both LA and San Diego. A rotor is needed to pull off that trick http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.