AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, i have been reading this forum for a long time and this is my first post. I am currently building the room which will be the family/HT room. I have always known that i wanted Bowers 683 as my LR speakers, replace 2 of my 4 685 ( that i use with the HTM61 center as my 5.1 system). I have never liked in wall speaker, but my plan was to build custom hole in the wall, half the speakers depth, so they can be on both sides of the TV and above the ground (similar to in wall speakers), but the speakers would be popping out of the wall. This was the plan until the CM8's planted themselves in my mind, but the problem is that this guys have the flow port in the back and since my design places them directly flushed to the wall i have no idea if there is a solution to maybe build a "J" shaped abs or pac pipe, to channel the bass or help the speaker breath, i don't know if it is even possible or recommended.

Adding to my confusion, the new 683's just came out, and i need to make a decision tomorrow, since i can get a really good deal for the "old" ones. This off course there is no possibility to install the CM8's as i need.

Does anybody know if it can be done?

I don't know if im in the right forum, if not please move me

Thanks

Jo

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
It can be done, fo course, but the speakers will perform bettter with at least a few inches between the port and the wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

whats "at least a few inches from the wall", because i can make the hole deeper.

Its better to have 4 inches from the wall than build a vent for it?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
That whole idea is a non-starter; forget it.

If you need in-wall speakers, get some good ones that are designed for that application.

The PSB CW-88R is one good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts