AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there ever been a more miserable example of the art and science of sound reproduction? Positively unlistenable. It sounded like the feed for the front singer was coming from an open mike in the third row, but the band was reproduced perfectly. What the hell is up with that? This made even American Idols' audio team seem professional.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't watched/listened to the entire show yet. I did listen to the stuff with Taylor Swift and found her vocal (espescially on the first song) to be completely buried and sound like it was coming in from the distance. It did improve a bit with her second song but it was still pretty poorly mixed. Previous CMA Music Festivals have been mixed better then this so I wonder if someone new was behind the knobs. Taylor's not the strongest live singer but usually sounds better then that.

That said this is not the worst I've heard her mixed, the NFL Kick-Off concert last year was even worse, you could barely tell there were vocals at all. I believe that was mixed live so that's something there, this they could have tweaked in post and brought the vocals out a bit. That said she looked great as always!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanadiantvguy /forum/post/20822741

...That said this is not the worst I've heard her mixed, the NFL Kick-Off concert last year was even worse, you could barely tell there were vocals at all. I believe that was mixed live so that's something there, this they could have tweaked in post and brought the vocals out a bit. That said she looked great as always!

Correctamundo. I had forgotten that aural abortion, as I switched it off almost as soon as tried to tune in that show for some Keith Urban only to get screaming cacophony from a frantic mob of woman.

·
Banned
418 Posts
This wasn't even a live broadcast so there's no excuse for such awful audio mixing. I think I've heard better vocals on bootlegs.

The picture quality was pretty poor too but I blame ABC using 720p instead of 1080i as the primary cause of that.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 /forum/post/20831556

This wasn't even a live broadcast so there's no excuse for such awful audio mixing. I think I've heard better vocals on bootlegs.

The picture quality was pretty poor too but I blame ABC using 720p instead of 1080i as the primary cause of that.

I agree with you and others noting the AWFUL audio mixing. Sounded like the center mike was in a tin can
5.1 and stereo mix.

As to the PQ, IMO it was typical ABC, HD for sure but not up to CBS or even NBCs live standards.

The big disappointment was the poor audio quality which is really unforgivable for a musical program
I'm looking forward to a better effort next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.