AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112
This will drive streaming rates higher and encourage more piracy.
I guess when the grocery stores raises its prices it's encouraging thief.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I don't see how this is the studios fault (not that I'm a fan of the studios). This looks to me like people did not want to pay .99 for a rental so apple dropped it because they were not making money.

IMO apple has never wanted the subscription model to work.... itunes still has never had a subscription and I don't think their video service will either. The margins are nowhere near as profitable as selling individually.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 /forum/post/20872131

The greed of hollywood studios never ceases to amaze me. This will drive streaming rates higher and encourage more piracy.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20...#ixzz1WBMyi1aj

I'm not sure what the 99 cent rentals refers to but when I was purchasing episodes of Fringe and Justified (both Fox shows) last season the prices were $1.99 for SD and $2.99 for HD. The exact same content was available on iTunes and Amazon if I used my HTPC but when streaming to my front projector set-up I used my Roku XD which meant iTunes was not an option. Occasionally I would watch these shows on cable but found the incessant commercials too annoying and would go back to watching them a day later on Amazon VOD.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
When you 'buy' a show or episode, do the agreements mention anything about how long you actually own (or more likely, 'have a license to view') it? It only takes one disagreement between a studio and streaming service to find your 'bought' streaming shows to suddenly be unavailable. Or if the streaming service goes under, you are screwed.

Even the upcoming Ultraviolet service, at least in one ad I saw, limits you to SD streaming for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63
When you 'buy' a show or episode, do the agreements mention anything about how long you actually own (or more likely, 'have a license to view') it? It only takes one disagreement between a studio and streaming service to find your 'bought' streaming shows to suddenly be unavailable. Or if the streaming service goes under, you are screwed.

Even the upcoming Ultraviolet service, at least in one ad I saw, limits you to SD streaming for 3 years.
Haven't really thought about it much since for me it's basically a watch-once-only thing. With Amazon they don't really give me a set time limit for owning a TV show and instead use vague terminology. However you can back-up downloaded TV shows to wherever you like according to them.

Quote:
Due to licensing restrictions, some videos may become unavailable for future download and streaming and therefore may not be available for re-download to your Unbox Player or TiVo DVR if you delete the local copy.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112
The greed of hollywood studios never ceases to amaze me. This will drive streaming rates higher and encourage more piracy.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20...#ixzz1WBMyi1aj
I don't get how this move by Apple will encourage piracy .. ??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn
I don't get how this move by Apple will encourage piracy .. ??
When prices are reasonable, and the service is easy and convenient to use, a certain percentage people will give up pirating content. I used to download movies but it's not worth it anymore with my Blockbuster By Mail subscription and $1/$1.50 Redbox rentals.

·
UHD Addict
39,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
When prices are reasonable, and the service is easy and convenient to use, a certain percentage people will give up pirating content. I used to download movies but it's not worth it anymore with my Blockbuster By Mail subscription and $1/$1.50 Redbox rentals.
But Netflix discs by mail has been available for 13 years. The prices were even lower back then. So why were you still pirating it when the prices were even lower per disc rental than they are now from Redbox or Blockbuster.

Although I easily pay under $1 per BD rental from Netflix. Which is less than what Redbox charges with many times more choices. And I don't have to wait in line for ten minutes like people always seem to at the two Redbox Kiosks at my local Wegmans.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Part of the issue is that most TV content is not available on disk for some time. If you can view an episode for $.99 shortly after it ran, then there is a reason to spend the money. If it's not available then people go the other route.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It was a good experiment but I guess just not cost effective. I used it for most of the Castle seasons. Love the show but never watched it before and I watched all 3 seasons for $.99 each. But there really wasn't a lot of content available for rental that I wanted to watch. I would have done that for Gossip Girl if it were available but that show was only available for purchase.

Amazon had the same deal for pretty much the same shows but interesting enough, they dropped the $.99 rentals several weeks ago--never did see any kind of formal announcement about that.

With the iTunes cloud, you can buy shows and movies directly from the ATV so I guess Apple figured that was the way to go. I liked the $.99 rentals but it was not that big a deal--I'll just buy the shows I need to catch up with.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Despite Apple's best efforts, most of the top networks weren't willing to offer shows for that price.

I have to agree with Cygnus2112, this is the fault of greedy studios. I don't own any Apple devices but it has already effected other providers such as Amazon. You know why digital music is doing so well...because the record companies realized that people will buy DRM-free music if reasonably priced. I can take that .99 song I bought and transfer it to any device or burn a CD if I like, try doing that with digital movies you buy.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/20875699

But Netflix discs by mail has been available for 13 years. The prices were even lower back then. So why were you still pirating it when the prices were even lower per disc rental than they are now from Redbox or Blockbuster.

Does my particular situation really matter? Netflix has never been good with new releases (demand outstrips supply) and that's mostly what I pirated. Once DVD kiosks became commonplace I could cheaply and relatively easily rent new releases legally.

Also, this thread is about 99 cent TV show rentals being eliminated. If DVD kiosks and/or by-mail rental services were eliminated, and I'm sure the movie studios wish they were, IMO a lot more people would pirate content.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 /forum/post/20873841

From the Amazon Instant Agreement:
e. Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions and for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming. You may download and store your own copy of Purchased Digital Content on a Compatible Device authorized for such download so that you can view that Purchased Digital Content if it becomes unavailable for further download or streaming from the Service.

I had not read this before. So, while you can store it and watch it forever, you may lose the right to download or stream again. They leave a wide door open with the "and for other reasons" clause. Disturbing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.