AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For CNET to ignore the incredibly horrible motion blur on the Panasonic Plasma is a complete discredit to anything they review. I was watching a scene where-as the beginning screen of a blue ray show all the chapters scrolling across the from right o left in little screens. On the Panasonic VT25 series the picture was so choppy and detracting that you could not watch it. On the two LED sets one being a LG and the other a Samsung the picture was smooth and clear. This to me is the biggest negative I have ever seen in a display, how could this be ignored?


Then I saw a couple of floor model Panasonic Plasmas that had the blacks turn 100% grey. They were older model 50 " sets, they were the worst looking sets on the floor. There was also an open box Pioneer Elite 50", it was the old 720p model, it smoked every display around it and the other sets were all 1080p. It is a shame that companies have taken such a huge step backwards just to add the cost of 3d to their sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
When you say "the picture was so choppy", are you referring to something other than judder? Assuming you were watching a 24p source, was the TV set to 96HZ mode? I am considering getting the Sammy C8000 instead of the VT because it supposedly has better video processing, but like you stated, the CNET guys seem to love the VT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/0


Waste of a thread. Watch in a regular viewing environment without torch mode and then post your opinion.

This had nothing torch mode it showed each displays ability to deal with a image panning across the screen. This problem cannot be fixed by a calibration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ28 /forum/post/0


When you say "the picture was so choppy", are you referring to something other than judder? Assuming you were watching a 24p source, was the TV set to 96HZ mode? I am considering getting the Sammy C8000 instead of the VT because it supposedly has better video processing, but like you stated, the CNET guys seem to love the VT.

CNET makes excuses for them, rising blacks are also passed off by CNET as no big deal, even though the newest sets are still rising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Was the VT25 professional calibrate? Before you talk you should look in to that. A store is NOT a good place to judge the performance of a TV. So it's hard to tell that, not only Cnet but many many people have stated that the VT25 is one of the best plasmas available right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos /forum/post/0


Was the VT25 professional calibrate? Before you talk you should look in to that. A store is NOT a good place to judge the performance of a TV. So it's hard to tell that, not only Cnet but many many people have stated that the VT25 is one of the best plasmas available right now.

I am not making a statement about the colors or contrast, these items can be fixed with calibration. I am commenting on the inability for the Panasonic to process the image of a panning camera without major blurring and choppy picture. Something for someone to look at before purchase. Also the fact that blacks are still rising, this should be a concern as Panasonic has stated they changed the timing of this but it will still happen. The open box sets I saw that had rising blacks were not watchable as the picture was so washed out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN /forum/post/0



I am not making a statement about the colors or contrast, these items can be fixed with calibration. I am commenting on the inability for the Panasonic to process the image of a panning camera without major blurring and choppy picture. Something for someone to look at before purchase. Also the fact that blacks are still rising, this should be a concern as Panasonic has stated they changed the timing of this but it will still happen. The open box sets I saw that had rising blacks were not watchable as the picture was so washed out.

Well you are right, Panasonic still doesn't admit that they have some problem with the rising black, but they say it wont be as bad as before, let's see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN /forum/post/0


I am not making a statement about the colors or contrast, these items can be fixed with calibration. I am commenting on the inability for the Panasonic to process the image of a panning camera without major blurring and choppy picture. Something for someone to look at before purchase.

You watching a YouTube video to come to this conclusion??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/0


You watching a YouTube video to come to this conclusion??

No, live and in person. It is what it is, no matter what you try and convince yourself, the Panasonic plasmas have some serious flaws that one must overlook or accept to purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos /forum/post/0



Well you are right, Panasonic still doesn't admit that they have some problem with the rising black, but they say it wont be as bad as before, let's see what happens.

If you have never seen a set that has a large rise in it's black levels, you would not believe it. You also would not believe that Panasonic states it was designed to look that bad in 2500 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Why is it that I can assume you are talking about something that has nothing to do with motion blur at all, and everything to do with artificial smoothing and image interpolation? Your comparing a pan with an LED display in a retail store, where image interpolation is usually set to medium high, as it's always on out of the box unless you manually go in and turn it off.


If you use an actual resolving resolution test pattern to actually test motion resolution, you should see 1080 lines on the panny, because it doesn't have motion blur. It just doesn't use the fake frame interpolation that all consumer LED displays use to overcome their native heavy motion blur, which they still don't achieve without useing a flashing back light.


So are you talking about "smoothness" or motion blur?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,952 Posts
I guess many are blind since most reviews and shootouts rank Panny top, followed by Sammy. So buy an LED if that's what you prefer (I hope you don't have to watch from the side).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
While I can't argue with the rising blacks as it has been documented the motion blur you are referring to I have to say I am not seeing. There are sets, especially LCD, that do 120hz or 240hz which artificially smooth the picture, the Panasonic does not do this but it can easily refresh quickly enough to show the image as it is being sent (motion or not).


There are plenty of reviews (not only CNET) that rank the vt series very highly. Matter of fact home Theater magazine voted it product of the year. I am sure no one knows what they are talking about but you though. That is not to say that Samsung is not a fine set, it is also reviewed very highly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,590 Posts
The same person who started this thread, recently bashed other people for just spending hours looking for problems with their Panasonic Plasmas.


On December 3, 2010 he wrote the following:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post19588548


"I have a 58v25 and do not see float. Blacks. There is no such thing as a perfect display, I think some people spend hours trying to find faults with their displays."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/19630322


The same person who started this thread, recently bashed other people for just spending hours looking for problems with their Panasonic Plasmas.


On December 3, 2010 he wrote the following:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post19588548


"I have a 58v25 and do not see float. Blacks. There is no such thing as a perfect display, I think some people spend hours trying to find faults with their displays."

I don't get it
. The OP has the 58VT25 and is raving about then views one clip with motion blur and is now slamming the display as well as cnet. Thats priceless especially when you read the link of above post from him. Short term memory loss would be my guess
.


Bill
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top