AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they just reviewed the 5020 and it scored lower than the 800u. whats going on here?

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw /forum/post/14320360

they just reviewed the 5020 and it scored lower than the 800u. whats going on here?

Price and color accuracy apparently bumped the 5020 down .3 points vs. the 800u. I'm not convinced that price should be considered in a review of hardware, but it's their website and their perogative.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
They wanted to slap Pioneer on the nose for removing picture options and reducing adjustability, as well as the inaccurate colors. And yes, they probably used the premium price as a backdrop to all this.....little higher standard type thing.

I think videophiles will be a bit dissapointed that the 5020 was somewhat gimped. Cnet saw videophiles as the target market here due to the price.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenbuddha /forum/post/14320389

Price and color accuracy apparently bumped the 5020 down .3 points vs. the 800u. I'm not convinced that price should be considered in a review of hardware, but it's their website and their perogative.

I do think that price should be considered when scoring a tv. There is a big price difference between the two and consumers like me need to know if the pioneer is worth the extra cheese.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:

They are just like Comsumer Reports, but they base mostly on price.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/14320524

Who cares? I buy based upon what I see not what someone tells me what I see.

well, nobody in my town has either one so I unfortunately cannot look at them. Plus the tvs will look different in your home than in a store.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup /forum/post/14320567

well, nobody in my town has either one so I unfortunately cannot look at them. Plus the tvs will look different in your home than in a store.

It's all relative. If one looks bad in the store and one looks good in the store then it's not going to change much in your home. Video noise, poor color don't get better with location.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/14320647

It's all relative. If one looks bad in the store and one looks good in the store then it's not going to change much in your home. Video noise, poor color don't get better with location.

So your saying Panasonic has poor color and alot of video noise? Total opposite than what I have read on this forum. I heard the THX setting was spot on in color reproduction. Huh go figure

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think he is referring to another set altogether, or maybe to picture quality in general. The Panny does not have a problem with either video noise or color.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14320464

They are just like Comsumer Reports, but they base mostly on price.

I don't buy that. CNET rated the Pio 8G 5080 as the best HDTV they ever reviewed and its MSRP was pretty close if not more than the best 50" Pany.

Perhaps Panasonic has made some big strides. By the way, I'm a big Pio fan and own a 5080.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:

I agree. It's ok to mention price, and folks certainly read reviews for price information as well as other facts.

But mention it in the introduction or at the end.

The technical review should stand on it's own.

HTmag, S&V, etc. generally do it that way. They rank the product by performance and leave it to the reader to decide if the price is line with their budget. Of course the prices they call out are usually MSRP, but I do see where they call out typical street prices too.

I don't like reviewers determining what's most affordable for me..I can make that judgment on my own. CR is a big crutch in that regard. And some folks need that.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/14320677

So your saying Panasonic has poor color and alot of video noise? Total opposite than what I have read on this forum. I heard the THX setting was spot on in color reproduction. Huh go figure

When you read a lot of reviews saying the same thing, especially if you observe it yourself, it may have significance (good or bad).

Otherwise the reviewer may have had a bad night, or more likely it is unique to a sample he is working on. (early production, etc.)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pretty good review. I actually like the CNETreviews.

Was debating both the 800U and the 5020 for a few weeks.

I am sure I would have been happy with both, but have to say the black level on the 5020 is quite stunning.

I can't say I could really tell if color accuracy was slightly amiss if I saw it.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/14320677

Yes, more video noise than their competitors.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As an 800u owner, I'm a bit surprised at their review. My cousin has the 5020, and I like it a hair better than my 800u. The deeper blacks make the picture so awesome. But, when I took everything into consideration, I ordered the 800u. The blacks are still very good, the color is incredible, and it was a lot cheaper. Plus, it's not like they rated the 5020 a 5.5 or 6 or something. It's just .3 difference. Not a big deal at all. I'm sure if price was not an issue to them, the outcome would have favored the 5020. I think the real winner here is the 5080. An 07 720p model still has the same rating(8.7) as the current top scorer for 08! You 5080 owners must be loving it!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 /forum/post/14320452

They wanted to slap Pioneer on the nose for removing picture options and reducing adjustability.

Deserves to be dinged for that. It'll sell some additional elites but they may give a few $ back on sales lost from review reactions to the move...

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/14320901

But you said video noise AND poor color. So now its just video noise? I'm confused

You are confused because you can't read correctly. My original comments were generic and didn't reference any TV. You introduced the name Panasonic, not me. I gave you my opinion on Panasonic which was unrelated to my original comment. Reading requires comprehension to make sense.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.