AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it wasn't bad it certainly didn't get the review I expected.. It actually said blacks were poor and "its video performance isn't as impressive" compared to crt units.... where as the Samung DLP got a much better review (Slim and light design; excellent connectivity; bright, detailed image; robust, low-maintenance technology; wide viewing angle) except for the black level issues and rainbow effects which my eyes do not seem to pick up... hate to say it ($$ wise) but looks like sammy is winning out in my search for a 42-46" rptv.. my limitation is I only have 16" depth to play with in our entertainment setup...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pinger,

Don't trust CNET 100%, go to CC or GOODGUYS and compare for yourself.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by qpham
Pinger,

Don't trust CNET 100%, go to CC or GOODGUYS and compare for yourself.
Ditto. Why count on other peoples' eyes when you can see them yourself?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you guys but I have what CNet rated as the top rptv (Sony KP-46WT500) http://reviews.cnet.com/4521-6531_7-...cy=cnet&tag=tp and they're review of it is on the money. Unfortunately due to remolding I have to get a 42-46" that is only 16" deep. My sony is sold and I have the pleasure of shopping and buying a new HD tv and so far in all my research of what is out there the Sammy is winning, Plasma-short life (7-9 years, explanation below) LCD PQ losing to DLP plus seems all the LCD TV's run 4-8 inches wider for the same 42-46" width which is important considering the opening is only 46" wide. Just another drawback, the Sony is 1 inch less in diagonal screen size yet 4 inches wider then the sammy 43 and 47" DLPs not to mention 2 inches higher. Plasma would be perfect but I hate the ideas of dead pixels popping up after a while plus they're brightness lifespan is questionable since the plasma deteriorates after a few years (plus I always see the screen door effect with plasma where in lcd and dlp I don't see it) .. Not trying to start a flame, just throwing out my thoughts in shopping...

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I would not put too much weight on that article either. The XBR is not shipping yet but from the regular GWIII sets I've seen I think they they have improved to the Sammy level now. Each has it's pros and cons but overall, they are quite close. It sounds like size is really your overriding concern though so if that's it, then Sammy does the trick.

ron

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would trust your own judgment over any reviews you might read. I personally prefer 3-chip LCD rear projection over 1-chip DLP, but I know many feel the opposite. Based on my viewing, I can't understand how they can possibly like DLP better, and they probably can't understand how I can like LCD better. There are lots of pros and cons with each technology. Most reviews I've read don't even mention many of the biggest cons (e.g., rainbows), which is very strange to me. You can only know which you like more by evaluating these TVs on your own.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just in case you hadn't realized, the review is of last year's XBR model. The new non-XBR grand wegas that just showed up in stores in the last week or so have what I think is a significantly better picture. This year's XBRs should be out in the next month or so.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just spoke with Sonystyle and they said they don't expect the 70" XBR to hit the streets until the last week in November or early December... The rep there also said he didn't expect the KF-60WE610 to be anywhere it could be seen before November either... He did say that Sonystyle had them to ship right now though...

Too bad these guys aren't offering the 70" model in non-XBR configuration. I'm thinking I'd replace my Sammy 61" DLP with it. Alas, though, it's the XBR or nothing...

FWIW,

Marc

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stk
Just in case you hadn't realized, the review is of last year's XBR model. The new non-XBR grand wegas that just showed up in stores in the last week or so have what I think is a significantly better picture. This year's XBRs should be out in the next month or so.
New ones -ARE- better. I played with them:)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
CNET rated my cannon i850 pretty low while Tom's hardware rated very high... CNET is limited, imo.

·
Registered
980 Posts
CNET is for the uninformed masses. Its no better than consumer reports

·
Registered
15 Posts
CNET is merely one guys opinion, as others said- go and check it out for yourself. Heck, my wife would be happy with the quality of a 20 year old tv! Yet another opinion that I choose to ignore. Tee hee.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
CNET is for the uninformed masses. Its no better than consumer reports
CNET actually uses ISF certified calibrators to calibrate and even write the reviews for many of the TV's they post reviews about...

and I generally feel they are accurate.....

CNET is no wheres near as stupid or uninformed as Consumer Reports....

Consumer Reports was stupid enough to rate and LCD #1....PLEASE!

Atleast CNET had a very accurate review.... and exposed the strenghts and weaknesses ... and the results of calibration.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, all I know is the 70" Sony looks great and that Samsung makes no 70" set of any kind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.