AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 CNET has posted its review of the Samsung pn59d7000 , and now confirms that picture quality is essentially identical to the "outstanding" PQ of the d8000, for even less money. The bottom line:
Quote:
If you're in the market for a high-performance plasma TV and want the best blend of picture quality and value, the Samsung PND7000 is our new go-to recommendation.

There seem to be a lot of posts wondering what TV to buy. Should we just pin this thread to the top as a public service?

·
Registered
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/20771019

CNET has posted its review of the Samsung pn59d7000 , and now confirms that picture quality is essentially identical to the "outstanding" PQ of the d8000, for even less money. The bottom line:

There seem to be a lot of posts wondering what TV to buy. Should we just pin this thread to the top as a public service?

God forbid anyone would do their own thinking

·
Registered
86 Posts
Very nice display from what I have seen at the stores.

I was surprised to see this review also says the black levels might get brighter over time on this series of displays.

Looking at this spreadsheet the D8000 has a black level rise after a few hundred hours.

From the review:
Quote:
Black level: The Samsung PND7000 was superb at producing a deep shade of black, falling short only of the VT30 (0.0052 Fl), the Kuro, and the Sony among the models in our lineup. Close comparisons of dark areas, like the letterbox bars and blackest shadows from the meeting of the evildoers in chapter 2, revealed that the D7000 looked basically the same as the GT30 (0.0057). The LG was the lightest of the bunch by far.

Black levels on the D8000, meanwhile, appeared visibly brighter than on the D7000. That's mainly because blacks on the D8000 grew lighter as the TV aged--we measured 0.0071 Fl at the time of the review (150 hours), compared with 0.0092 after aging it 940 hours. That's a significant increase, and one that we expect the D7000 will undergo as well. On the other hand there's no way to tell how further aging will affect these TVs' black levels until we can age and test them more, so at this point our aging-related findings will not contribute to the TVs' reviews and scores. Furthermore, at the beginnings of their respective lifespans the two Samsung plasmas had very similar black-level performance.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Best value, yes. So yes, it may be the best choice for some. But according to CNET, the VT30 has best PQ, and so that may be the best choice for others.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I would like to see how all of these "Best Values" compare to each other after 2K or 3K hours. Out of the box performance is one thing but I plan on keeping my set for 5 or 6 years. All of this rising black level stuff scares me.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan /forum/post/0

I would like to see how all of these "Best Values" compare to each other after 2K or 3K hours. Out of the box performance is one thing but I plan on keeping my set for 5 or 6 years. All of this rising black level stuff scares me.

I used to keep electronics for years, but it seems within the past decade or so, I have been replacing things much faster. Technology always has it's way of pushing some must have feature. Hdmi getting revised every year it seems, network streaming, Internet apps, 3D, 1080p, smaller, thinner, more inputs.... The list goes on. Just seems like I have had to upgrade multiple things at once, much more often.

The 5+ years of using a piece of electronics is gone for me. I'm sure in a couple years I will buy another tv because it has some fantastic feature I can't live without and I will need a new hdmi 1.9 receiver to connect it to and new cables and....

·
Registered
863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan /forum/post/20771952

After all the angst expressed over Panasonic's rising blacks, am very disappointed to see the same problem being reported on the Samsung D8000.

Between this, and Pan's Fluctuating Brightness problem, does indeed seem like (another) good year to sit on the sidelines at least long enough for these glitches to sort themselves out.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm seeing many many reports of buzzing and clouding and increasing black levels. Not just one report, and quite a few are being sent back only to be replaced by a new set with the same problems. Unfortunately it seems that many plasma owners are accepting these flaws as inevitable and that's just a shame. Even though in 2010 Panasonic said there was no black level problems, in 2011 they say they have now fixed these non existent problems. Reviews have shown they still exist and now Samsung owners are crying the same blues. And yes, the differences between the black levels are easily apparent to the untrained eye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.