AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is posted before, I ran a search and found nothing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...?tag=cnetfd.mt

This is Cnet's 7 Tech predictions for 2007.

Scroll down to #4 and the title speaks for itself. Personally, I think Cnet has it all wrong, they state that the PS3 will be the sole driver for Blu Ray's victory. Unfortunately they forget that people who buy PS3s use it for mainly gaming purposes.

Edit: Here's the follow up from David Carnoy, author of the "Seven Tech Predictions for 2007 on the link above.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=bubbl_1

Interesting read. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

Quote:
Personally, I don't care who wins or loses, and I'm not rooting for either format.
Quote:
HD DVD surrenders by September

OK, this probably won't happen, but it should.

He doesn't care who wins, he just thinks HD DVD should give up?

Quote:
According to the numbers we're seeing, there are 175,000 HD DVD players out there (with 92,000 of those being Xbox 360 HD DVD players) and around a million Blu-ray players in homes, most of them PS3s. As Sony ramps up PS3 production, we expect that 5:1 ratio to hold, and perhaps even increase.

I think he might be shilling, because it's clear that he is aware that the bulk of BluRay players are PS3 units (per his text) yet he seems to suggest that 100% of those users are interested in BluRay movies.

He has also padded the relevant number of PS3 units by about 300k (Japan is hardly an important market to US movie studios) but why bother getting the facts straight anyway?

Is David Carnoy really AVS Forum Gremlin "DaveBluRay" ?

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts

Quote:
4. HD DVD surrenders by September

OK, this probably won't happen, but it should

I think his first sentence shows his bias and actual assessment.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You know, I can agree with a big "if". And that is: If HD-DVD does not come out with at least enough titles to match Bluray, or at least close to the same number. I think the content thing may actually win for Blu-ray.

If HD-DVD matches or exceeds the number of titles on Blu-ray, things will look great.

The downloadable content thing? Are we talking about something that works just like ON-Demand or Pay-Per view?

HD is not at all ready for the download via traditional high speed internet lines. I sure like to own my content and it would be really sad for me to see disc based media HD or otherwise go away.

One thing I noticed over the weekend, I think every DVD ad I seen had "Available on DVD and Blu-ray disc" attached at the end.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Aren't there over 175k stand-alones on the market? PLUS add-ons (92K)

·
Registered
467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty /forum/post/0

I think his first sentence shows his bias and actual assessment.

CNET and this guy has alway been very subjective regarding HD DVD. I just got tired of their web site. From the very beggining, when Toshiba started selling the HD A1 their first review was just very subjective.

The worst part of all is that they think people will not notice it.

If Time magazine predicts that PS3 will be a failure some people consider they have no right to say this since they are not a tech magazine, but on the other hand , if this moron writes things like this in a pseudo tech web site, people consider it just fine.

On this format war I started to lose respect for web sites like CNET.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I could easily see it going like this:

1. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD continue to duke it out during the year, being virtually even in software sales. HD-DVD standalones greatly outsell blu-ray standalones. The PS3 doesn't win the war, simply keeps blu-ray on pace with HD-DVD.

2. Come fall, prices fall on both sides. You no longer have to pay $1000 plus for a blu-ray player, and Toshiba lowers prices. Cheap Chinese HD-DVD players hit the market.

3. Lord of the Rings creates an HD buzz and sales start to increase. Choice between a $200 Chinese HD-DVD player, $300 Toshiba, or blu-ray which is still $500 or more.

4. At the end of the year studios get tired of Sony/Blu-Ray promises and begin their switch to neutrality once they see the effect of cheap players on the market.

5. C-net comes out with an article stating "Blu-Ray is dead, or should give up by Sept. 08"

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow /forum/post/0

Aren't there over 175k stand-alones on the market? PLUS add-ons (92K)

Wow, no. There are 175k HD DVD players total, world wide, including standalones and laptops with HD DVD drives. That is why sales of BD are surging relative to HD DVD now. How do people get so insulated by fanboyism?

Also, the sales ramp of BD shows that PS3 owners do, in fact, want to watch Blu Ray movies (although probably not with the same attach rate as A1s), and that the completely made-up "fact" spouted here about PS3 owners only being gamers as is not true. Remember, Sony could lost the console wars while BD still wins the format wars.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm surprised that you guys walked right into A BAIT THREAD MINE FIELD! That is exactly what this thread is.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay /forum/post/0

Wow, no. There are 175k HD DVD players total, world wide, including standalones and laptops with HD DVD drives. That is why sales of BD are surging relative to HD DVD now. How do people get so insulated by fanboyism?

Also, the sales ramp of BD shows that PS3 owners do, in fact, want to watch Blu Ray movies (although probably not with the same attach rate as A1s), and that the completely made-up "fact" spouted here about PS3 owners only being gamers as is not true. Remember, Sony could lost the console wars while BD still wins the format wars.

Of course PS3 owners are watching BD movies. Its not like theres any games to play on the PS3 . lmao

Of course Sony wanted the PS3 to be the savior of BD. Thats why all those PS3 commercials referance the BD playback of the PS3 right ? lol

Its not even determined weather the PS3 will even win the gaming console war yet. Whats gonna happen then if the PS3 gets dusted by the 360 ? Hows that gonna bode for BD if their #1 BD player ends up turning into the Sega Dreamcast ? This is something people dont factor in enough IMO. Sony actually has to win two wars to make BD a success since the PS3 has become the #1 player for this format. They have to beat out the 360 and HDDVD.

You cant say your gonna win the "war" based on a gaming console and then say you can still win the "war" if that console fails. If the PS3 is your savior it can also be your demise.

And no I dont own either format. And wont as long as this stupidity continues.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I do not own either player but I think what he says is probably true. I think by next fall when Sony drops the price of the PS3 and more games and movies come out it will be a big edge. Also on the PC front BR will have a decided advantage due to its greater capacity. I think both are flawed at the moment and I have no problem waiting another 6-9 months. I was one of the DVD pioneers and the first 2 years of that weren't very worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I had a good assumption on what C-Net was going to say even before I read the article. C-Net has been biased towards Blu-Ray for quite some time now. I am unsure if they have an agenda or are just sticking by their past projections. but they have been claiming doom for HD-DVD even when it was clearly out in front.

C-Net has a right to their own opinion, although I do not think they do much research and it sounds like they are just piggybacking on other analysts predictions. At one time C-Net was a great source of information, although the dot.com bust has hurt C-Net and I no longer regard them as a relaible source of information or a good source for reviews. therefore to me personally, their prediction means very little.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay /forum/post/0

Huh?

Quote:
About 80% of all next-generation DVD player sales came from the Xbox 360's HD-DVD Player or the PlayStation 3.

Blu-Ray is currently leading the race with 425,000 units sold: 400,000 PlayStation 3s and 25,000 dedicated Blu-ray players. HD-DVD has sold over 270,000 units sold: 150,000 Xbox HD-DVD players and 120,000 dedicated HD-DVD players.

Interestingly, we don't know how many of those PlayStation 3 owners wanted a Blu-Ray player.
http://www.pgnx.net/news.php?page=full&id=13025

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/0

Sorry if this is posted before, I ran a search and found nothing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...?tag=cnetfd.mt

This is Cnet's 7 Tech predictions for 2007.

Scroll down to #4 and the title speaks for itself. Personally, I think Cnet has it all wrong, they state that the PS3 will be the sole driver for Blu Ray's victory. Unfortunately they forget that people who buy PS3s use it for mainly gaming purposes.

And they all don't have HDTV's, like many 360 owners aren't playing on HDTV's either. Price will matter in how long this goes and they don't seem to factor it in.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211 /forum/post/0

Of course PS3 owners are watching BD movies. Its not like theres any games to play on the PS3 . lmao

That imo is pretty much true. If you have a PS3 and a HDTV somewhere you have had to come to the conclusion if your not a kid, that damn I best play some movies on this thing. Or that is what my gut is feeling.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 /forum/post/0

I do not own either player but I think what he says is probably true. I think by next fall when Sony drops the price of the PS3 and more games and movies come out it will be a big edge. Also on the PC front BR will have a decided advantage due to its greater capacity. I think both are flawed at the moment and I have no problem waiting another 6-9 months. I was one of the DVD pioneers and the first 2 years of that weren't very worthwhile.

What makes you think Sony is dropping the price of the PS3 in the fall? They are already losing over $300 per console sold, so why should we believe they are going to slash the price after 9 months on the market?

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott /forum/post/0

I could easily see it going like this:

1. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD continue to duke it out during the year, being virtually even in software sales. HD-DVD standalones greatly outsell blu-ray standalones. The PS3 doesn't win the war, simply keeps blu-ray on pace with HD-DVD.

2. Come fall, prices fall on both sides. You no longer have to pay $1000 plus for a blu-ray player, and Toshiba lowers prices. Cheap Chinese HD-DVD players hit the market.

3. Lord of the Rings creates an HD buzz and sales start to increase. Choice between a $200 Chinese HD-DVD player, $300 Toshiba, or blu-ray which is still $500 or more.

4. At the end of the year studios get tired of Sony/Blu-Ray promises and begin their switch to neutrality once they see the effect of cheap players on the market.

5. C-net comes out with an article stating "Blu-Ray is dead, or should give up by Sept. 08"

that is pretty much what will happen. AGREED

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black /forum/post/0

What makes you think Sony is dropping the price of the PS3 in the fall? They are already losing over $300 per console sold, so why should we believe they are going to slash the price after 9 months on the market?

If Sony drops the price of the PS3, that could prompt Microsoft into dropping the price of the 360. It Microsoft drops the 360 price for next holiday season, the PS3 is going to be in trouble.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Sony sales of BD via PS3 is probably pissing off the other BD companies who are still marketing their players in the $1K range and up. And none of those other companies are making a dime off the BD movies, as Sony is, with their own studio. Sony is the only CE comapny making any money off BD and they are screwing the BD consortium big time and I can't belive they don't see it. Yet Sony can't make BD a success without the other CE companies as a draw for studio support.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.