AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm re-setting up my 5.1 system and have a couple questions. I want to make sure I'm getting 5.1 from my DVD player, of course and there are 3 options 1. Optical Cable, 2. Digital Coax cable and 3. Analog L,R,C,S1,S2 Sub. Here's my question - what exactly IS a digital Coax cable? Are the regular old audio cables (L and R) usable for this - just use one of the colors in the coax out)? I just bought a two subwoofer cables so i have an extra one (RCA jack I guess it's called) is this digital coax?

I have misplaced/lost the optical cable I was using which has created the need for me to use another method for now.

·
Registered
23,394 Posts
Although any RCA audio cable will work, it's best to use a 75 Ohm cable (such as a "yellow" composite video cable) for digital coax interconnects.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh /forum/post/0

I'm re-setting up my 5.1 system and have a couple questions. I want to make sure I'm getting 5.1 from my DVD player, of course and there are 3 options 1. Optical Cable, 2. Digital Coax cable and 3. Analog L,R,C,S1,S2 Sub. Here's my question - what exactly IS a digital Coax cable? Are the regular old audio cables (L and R) usable for this - just use one of the colors in the coax out)? I just bought a two subwoofer cables so i have an extra one (RCA jack I guess it's called) is this digital coax?

I have misplaced/lost the optical cable I was using which has created the need for me to use another method for now.

A coax cable has significantly more shielding that your typical L/R audio cable and I''m not sure the yellow video cable is up to the job. If you want to be sure, make sure the cable is marked 'Coaxial' or 'Coax'. You should notice that its appreciably thicker and less flexible than your typical RCA cable.

However, any RCA cable will work. You just run the risk of picking up noise and having reduced bandwidth.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I use this Radio Shack cable pair connected end-to-end (48 ft) with a RCA coupler to go from my PC sound card to my pre/pro. It works fine; no dropouts, no clicks, no buzzing, no static, just music...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Probably a piece of speaker wire would work (for a short run).

And NO, I'm not saying that's what you should use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.