Hi all.

About a year ago I made a VGA to RGBHV BNC cable, out of

Ixos cable and Ixos BNC's. The BNC's are these VERY fancy

gold-ones:rolleyes:

When I made the cable, I couldn't help wondering if the Ixos

idea of using three(or so), little wires instead of one single

conductor is flawed. I mean, normally the very stiff single

conductor just fits right in, but the multiple very soft ones

from the Ixos sort of....well, it didn't feel right.

I've just been to the electronics store, and I bought some

75ohm cable(cheap, costs about 1$us per meter) and some

75ohm BNC plugs.

What do you think? Should I make a new cable, or the Ixos way

good enough? Multiple soft wires vs. stiff single conductor...gold

covered BNC's vs. normal?

Thanks for your time,

Nicholas

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I just went and looked up cable prices from my supplier. Canare L5CFB, which is some pretty good stuf,f is about the same price as what you just bought. Is cable expensive over there or something? ('cause over here the L5CFB is some decent cable, and not that costly.)

Its all wire. Try it out, sounds like you have the parts already. If you don't think you are going to return them, swap cables for a few days and see if you can notice the difference. I know that if I swapped out my Canare wire and put back the crap that used to be in there I'd see noise again immediately. So I'm happy with my choice of single sold conductor, non-gold BNCs. :D

But I always love seeing other cable strategies, like RGBHV over Cat5e.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My PJ is set up with RGBHV over cat 5. I have no ill effects from it. I can not see any real difference between my experiments with coax and those with cat 5, so I went the cheap route... (Sony 1031)

--Kieth

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
From what I've read here, at 30' and under shielded Cat5e is an excellent option.

I just went the Canare route before I read about the Cat5e. If I wasn't a Lazy Member, I'd pick up 30' of shielded Cat5e and try it, its not expensive stuff at all.

But I can't praise my MP-1 Radeon and the Canare cable I've got in here enough. I think its all Mike Parker's fault I love the image so much, his card is just amazing. The wire I'm sure has something to do with it, but I'd almost guess anything better than twine would be just as good. :)

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I personally made a set for my 1031Q with RG6 quad coax and will be making a new set when I move with RG59 because thats all thats required for line level audio and video cables.

I am not a fan of using cat 5 for video because its not designed for that purpose as far as Im concerned but hell if it works cool. Ill have to try it and see what happens with my line doubler but I can make a complete set of RGBHV cables with RG59 in just a few minutes with BNC connectors.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, crimping BNC's is fun.

Any info on the difference between single conductor and multiple

small soft wires?

Nich

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Stranded coax is good for fast-changing enviroments. Canare sells two types of coax, several versions of a solid-core center, and several versions of a softer, stranded center conductor.

If you look at the specs of the wires, the solid-core specs are generally better, and will have less loss over longer runs.

That said, Canare recommends the solid-core stuff only for environments where the cable will be installed, and left alone. Example: cable within a broadcast studio, cable TV head-end, etc.

If the cable will be worked with / handled frequently, such as cables used on the floor of a sound stage, recording studio, or on-location TV truck, Canare recommends the stranded cable as it will last longer with less quality loss due to strain on the cable. They also don't recommend running this stuff for long distances.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My cable is about 1.2 meters long. I wonder if there is a difference at all,

but I'll try.

Nicholas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.