AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched from an Acoustic Research (AR) 2GHz 3-way coax splitter to a Monster 2GHz 2-way coax splitter, and it seems to me the overall video quality is [not] as good- especially noticeable with HDTV resolution (1080i). While the picture is decent looking it does'nt seem to be as fine, or sharp looking. Have any of you had experience with these products?

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster /forum/post/0

RF splitter? If so digital is there or it isn't, resolution and sharpness can not be affected on the RF side.

yeah, one of these suckers.......
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=663

I see, so what you're saying is if the [digital] signal gets propagated to the cable-box safely then it should'nt matter what brand splitter does it, and the video quality is not gonna be necessarily any better or worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster /forum/post/0

P.S. Unless it was a gift, you paid too much for the splitter.....

what's $19.00 in the audio/video world? that's pennies as far as I'm concerned.

But people "salute" you if you bragg about having an $8000.00 Krell brand amplifier (for example). When I think there are many $2000.00 models that are right in there. Or if you have a pair of $20,000.00 B&W speakers.

· Registered
2,134 Posts
$19.00 dollars? For ONE splitter? Holy $%#@ batman!

Yep, if it is getting to the box and you have a stable picture, it matters not what it is passing through before that box as far as resolution and picture quality are concerned.

· Registered
118 Posts
I'll follow this post with interest, as I need to get some of these as well. The way I see it, I think I'll have to split twice! From attic to control pannel in master closet as one cable, then from there need to send that signal to media room & living room (1 split). Then once in living room, need to send it to both the HR20 box and also to the TV's antenna input (2nd split).

Like you, I don't mind paying a little bit for cabling or things like this. I'm one of the crazy ones I guess. I don't think this is the popular opinion around here, but just want to make sure everything is of the highest quality...even if its only real affect is to make me feel better inside. Heck, I'm planning for a new DLP in the living room in a few weeks, so I spent a great deal on cables in anticipation, including $120 worth of high quality COAX from RAM for that room (needed 8 cables as I will filter them through a monster power center). Yep...I'm absolutely crazy!

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm crazy too (I guess)! I've probably spent easily $2000.00 dollars to outfit my whole system with Monster component-video cables, s-video cables, analog-audio interconnects, digital-optical interconnects, digital-coax interconnects, power-conditioners (yes 2 of them). Also, specifially used AudioQuest Diamond-Back series interconnects for most of my analog-audio interconnects.

Monster makes 3 different splitter models, so you may want to check them out closely to see what combination will work best for you.
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=663v

They have:

2 Way 2 GigaHertz RF Splitter

3 Way 2 GigaHertz RF Splitter

4 Way 2 GigaHertz RF Splitter

Good Luck, and have Fun!

· Registered
118 Posts
Wow WestCoast D! Thats some extreme cables sounds like!

This is off-topic, but thought I would ask. You meniton you have 2 power centers (must have lots of components!). Are you running your COAX feeds through these? And if so, did you notice any loss or difference in the signal doing so?

· Registered
118 Posts
Well, for me, I haven't mentioned any products in paticular.

When thinking about cables, here are the things I have been thinking about. I'm about two weeks away from spending $5,000 on a TV. When I start to plan out how I will hook everything, I take a look at what I have, or what I have in my box-o-cables in the closet and find un-marked old COAX cables with shady looking steel connectors that have seen several years of use, wear/tear and maybe even corrosion.

So, I decided to get new COAX cables, it only seems right given that I will be spending so much on a snazy new TV...maybe I should make sure I have nice cables to pass the signal to it.

So, this is the description for the new COAX cables I bought:

"75 Ohm Silver plated conductor cable soldered with silver solder. Black chrome barrels with gold plated connectors."

These sounded like good quality COAX cables to me. Gold plated terminations. And the RG6 copper itself is silver plated, all bundled inside several layers of shielding to eliminate interference.

These aren't Monster cables (and I do agree that some of the name brand cable makers put out some heavy mark-ups), but are from an AVS supported vendor's web page.

Are the specs these cables will offer better than average run of the mill RG6 from Home Depot? Not sure, I haven't seen technical specs for ANY of the choices. But I'm sure they are sufficiently better than the older dust covered COAX buried in a box for 10 years in my closet. In my opinion, its a justified expenditure given the amount I am spending on the TV that relies on those signals.

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip4465 /forum/post/0

Are you running your COAX feeds through these? And if so, did you notice any loss or difference in the signal doing so?

yeah, I've been experimenting (for about a year now) with running my main coax video feed through the Power Center filter, then to my cable-box (SA8300HD). I was worried at first about signal attenuation, however, video seems to be very good. I'm watching FOX NFL coverage (Chicago Bears/Seattle Seahawks) as I speak and the HD video quality is unbelieveable! I've been paying close attention to detail, sometimes you can notice the skin texture on close-ups, other times details are slightly "fuzzy", I'm assuming this is more of a camera depth-of-field function?

Anyway, I plan to experiment by-passing, and going straight to the cable-box as well.

On the computer-side of things I use a Belkin power-strip, when I pass the cable through it's filters the signal becomes too attenuated to function properly for my cable-modem.

· Registered
118 Posts
Just a follow-up. I went to Monster's web page to find similarly speced (in regards to materials used / construction of cables) COAX cables. They do have a similarly speced COAX cable as the one I purchased online (gold pated connectors, silver coated copper conductor).

Monster's is priced at $70 for 6 feet & $50 for 3 feet. The one I bought was $20 for 6 feet & $15 for 3 feet.

Because I had to buy 8 different COAX cables for my wiring needs, I just wouldn't be able to spend that kind of money. Monster's cable may very well be technically superior to the one I bought...but if someone's budget can accomodate that expenditure, and it makes the owner feel better, and possibly provide an undetermined margin of improvement...then why not. In my opinion...to each their own!

I could have used my dust covered budget cables to pass a signal to my new TV, but I personally will feel much better about having cables made of higher quality materials and constructed better. Will it make a difference - I won't ever know, as I won't be pulling the old cables out and wrestling with the giant TV to perform A-B tests.

If I owned a Ferrari F430, and needed to replace the drivetrain...I wouldn't use one out of a 1980's Buick if they were equal in size / fit / function. I also wouldn't use one out of an Enzo if they were equal in size / fit / function - but that would only be because I couldn't afford it!

WestCoastD - keep us updated with any splitter info you come upon. My worry is that its known that splitters can degrade signals, even if ever so slightly. I would really like to find a good one, maybe not one on a Ferrari budget, but the best one within the amount I'm willing to spend.

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 /forum/post/0

it is not necessary to loop thru the off air or satellite incoming coax thru a power center if the coax is properly grounded in the first place. there is just too much loss associated.

I'm curious just how much affect on video quality, or detail, these power-center filters can have, since (you say) they invoke some signal loss?

Quote:

with the right cable fittings and tools...you can make your own audio and video cables.

thanks for all your good info Rick0725. Yeah, I enjoy playing around with making my own speaker cables, but have'nt got around to playing with audio, or video, interconnects-- just don't have the time, otherwise I probably would.

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, wonder how much power-cords may affect signal (video-quality)?

I'm well aware that you must segregate these lines as much as possible, however, with multiple components and devices it's almost impossible to not run a video-cable next to a power-cord at some point. I'm thinking I'm seeing some 60Hz noise on my video.

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

At my place that could take all afternoon!

thanks Rick.

yeah, this could take a whole day as well for me.

I live in an old apartment (converted house), so the electrical is sort of old and funky. Actually there are no [normal] 3-prong grounded outlets. So I've cut the ground lead from my pwer-center cords (what!........yes I did). At some point I just have to get my (tight-ass) landlord owner to fork out the cost of replacing a number of outlets with new updated types. Especially since I have a massive computer set-up, and another small A/V system in my bedroom (at least those three outlets). All-in-all things have worked pretty good though over the last few years, have'nt had any dissasters.

Here's a shot of my latest system set-up, it's been an ever-changing monstrosity. notice the wiring "jungle" on the rear........

· Registered
2,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/0

So I've cut the ground lead from my power-center cords (what!........yes I did)

You CUT the ground prong from a power center?

This would have been cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/0

Here's a shot of my latest system set-up, it's been an ever-changing monstrosity. notice the wiring "jungle" on the rear........

You spent $2000.00 for that!

· Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus /forum/post/0

Because cutting off the SAFETY ground, is so much better?

I have no choice, get it? My land-lord is too cheap to spend the money to upgrade the outlets. I may have to just pay and have it done myself.

Either I use a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter, and let the power-center plug hang way out from the outlet- which is dangerous (and still not technically SAFETY grounded), or cut the ground pin so the plug will seat all the way flush to the wall outlet.

Although, I may try to connect a ground wire, from the electrical-box, to my power-center ground terminal.

The adapter (shown above) is still 2-prong, non-grounded, as well- correct? Moreover, it provides for multiple outlets to be connected into one socket. I think that's more dangerous, don't you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.