AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live on Manhattan with TWC Road Runner cable internet. I also have a Toshiba 32HL67 that I get a lot of basic channels and some QAM digital HD channels as well (I don't pay for TV just the internet). I currently switch between getting internet and getting those TV channels but I'd obviously like to use both at the same time. Should I just buy a simple coax cable splitter or something else? There is maybe one or two other coax cable outlets in the apt but I'm not sure if they work (the techie seemed to think only the one coming through a whole in the wall worked) so I assume a cable splitter is my best option as long cables throughout the apt aren't really ideal even if the other outlets did work. Would a cable splitter worsen the QAM signal or would it be negligible? Is there a better way to go about this? Are there cable splitters that are better than others? Can you recommend some?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yep, a cable splitter is what you're looking for. One leg goes to your modem, and one to your TV. Just get one that is rated to 1000 MHz. You will lose 3.5db of your signal by splitting, but I highly doubt you'll notice a difference. Something like this would work well:

http://www.smarthome.com/7810C2/Chan...er-HS-2/p.aspx

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmorg /forum/post/15591454

I get a lot of basic channels and some QAM digital HD channels as well (I don't pay for TV just the internet).

are all your basic channels in digital or are they analog? i also have TWC NYC cable, and a coax coming into my room. have basic channels in analog, never tried digital and wondering if a QAM tuner would get more access

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot45 /forum/post/15668051

are all your basic channels in digital or are they analog? i also have TWC NYC cable, and a coax coming into my room. have basic channels in analog, never tried digital and wondering if a QAM tuner would get more access

It may be different in his case, but usually the "basic" channels remain in analog format, while the local digital/HD channels are passed in the clear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have my cable going to a modem and to my cable box via a splitter. I have been having major issues with my cable though. Half the time the channels don't show up, or they are pixelated with crackling audio. The on screen channel guide always works perfectly, but the channels are either black or pixelated. I unplugged my modem last night an voila, my cable is working perfectly. But now I have no internet. So I guess I'm wondering if my splitter needs to be of better quality or if I just need to forget about splitting and look into running another cable line.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannzo24 /forum/post/15675684

I have my cable going to a modem and to my cable box via a splitter. I have been having major issues with my cable though. Half the time the channels don't show up, or they are pixelated with crackling audio. The on screen channel guide always works perfectly, but the channels are either black or pixelated. I unplugged my modem last night an voila, my cable is working perfectly. But now I have no internet. So I guess I'm wondering if my splitter needs to be of better quality or if I just need to forget about splitting and look into running another cable line.

I wonder how many other times the cable is split before the splitter you're referring to? What does the splitter say on it? Are the coax ends on tight?

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 /forum/post/15676155

I wonder how many other times the cable is split before the splitter you're referring to? What does the splitter say on it? Are the coax ends on tight?

Well the splitter has a TWC label on it and was rated up to 1000mhz. I don't think it is a quality issue with my splitter. Does it matter where the splitter is located? When I had it connected it was right behind my tv, close to all my AV equipment, would it be possible that causes intereference within the splitter?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannzo24 /forum/post/15683135

Well the splitter has a TWC label on it and was rated up to 1000mhz. I don't think it is a quality issue with my splitter. Does it matter where the splitter is located? When I had it connected it was right behind my tv, close to all my AV equipment, would it be possible that causes intereference within the splitter?

That really shouldn't cause any interference. Is this the main line coming into your house that you're splitting, just once?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well after fighting with TWC for two weeks I finally fixed it. TWC was a complete joke, didn't help at all. The phone tech support thinks that unplugging and plugging back in your equipment will fix anything then they wouldn't believe me when it didn't correct the problem. Two technicians came to the house and all they did was tighten all my connections and thought that was it. Worthless.

What I ended up doing was buying three new pieces of cable and moved the splitter from behind the tv to closer to the wall. Seems to be working perfectly now. So either my cables were crap or there was intereference with the splitter so close to all my AV equipment.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannzo24 /forum/post/15820883

Well after fighting with TWC for two weeks I finally fixed it. TWC was a complete joke, didn't help at all. The phone tech support thinks that unplugging and plugging back in your equipment will fix anything then they wouldn't believe me when it didn't correct the problem. Two technicians came to the house and all they did was tighten all my connections and thought that was it. Worthless.

What I ended up doing was buying three new pieces of cable and moved the splitter from behind the tv to closer to the wall. Seems to be working perfectly now. So either my cables were crap or there was intereference with the splitter so close to all my AV equipment.

At least one of your cables was the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts