AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very TV signal technical and need help to prevent buying something else that doesn't work as I expected. My wife wants to move the TV to a location that cannot route (or install) a coax cable connection. So my thought was to buy a TV turner that converts to HDMI, then go wireless across the room to a wireless receiver where the TV would be located.

My cable is coax, and plugs from the wall directly to the TV coax connector... After scanning, I have channels 2-69 and many channels with decimals (111.34 for example)... There is no cable box.

Taking baby steps, I did some research and bought the ViewTV At-163. Plugged the coax to it with the HDMI to the TV and after the scan, I only get the channels with the decimals... Channels 2-69 are not discovered (attempted multiple configurations). However, the channels it does find look great.

Doing more research, it appears my cable company is sending ATSC and QAM channels and the only TV Turner I can find that appears to do this is the PrimeDTV PHD-208 (if I read their literature correctly).

Before spending more money to test this theory, I'd like the thoughts from this forum. Am I correct in thinking the PHD-208 will work, or do I need something else?

Additionally, should the overall solution work or is there an easier way to do it? Installing a new coax drop is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
I'm not too sure about the feasibility of sending a tv signal via a wireless connection. I don't think you can.

The PHD-208 is just a digital STB for use with older analog tv's or tv's without an internal ATSC (digital) tuner. It takes either an OTA (Over The Air antenna) digital signal or your cable digital signal and pushes it to your tv via coax. ATSC is a digital signal be it OTA, cable, or satellite. A lot of cable companies are doing away with QAM so that's why you may not be able to pick up those stations.

The ViewTV AT-163 is the same thing only you can record OTA or cable digital signals as well as serve as a media player. You still need to connect your tv via some sort of cable (coax or HDMI).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it sounds like the PHD-208 would produce the same results... Any recommendations on a TV Tuner that will produce the same results as I currently get with the cable plugged directly into my TV?

Once successful, I wouldn't be sending the entire cable signal... Only streaming the output channel from the HDMI Tuner. There are a bunch of them available and claim to work (search on HDMI TV Wireless Streaming).

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Thanks mdavej, now just need to figure out how to take a coax cable line and put it through a Hybrid TV Turner (with HDMI output) so I can get the same channels as I get when I plug it directly in to my TV. :)
Your ViewTV tuner doesn't do analog. That's why channels are missing. You need a different tuner for that (NTSC). But I wouldn't spend much because analog will be going away soon as will the rest of your cable channels, then both your ViewTV and whatever NTSC tuner you get will be doorstops.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thanks mdavej, now just need to figure out how to take a coax cable line and put it through a Hybrid TV Turner (with HDMI output) so I can get the same channels as I get when I plug it directly in to my TV. :)
Who is your cable provider? As mdavej indicated you may lose your analog channels and your clear QAM (111.34 etc...) in the near future. You may be better off just getting a cable box from your provider than spending money on your own TV tuner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who is your cable provider? As mdavej indicated you may lose your analog channels and your clear QAM (111.34 etc...) in the near future. You may be better off just getting a cable box from your provider than spending money on your own TV tuner.
It's Cox cable and like $8 a month for life... It's obvious after reading all the messages that some of the channels are QAM while others are NTSC analog... So which tuner can do both in one box... They are seem to run less than $100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's Cox cable and like $8 a month for life... It's obvious after reading all the messages that some of the channels are QAM while others are NTSC analog... So which tuner can do both in one box... They are seem to run less than $100.
Hit send too soon.. I meant to say adding a box to my service is $8 a month for life. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.