AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently remodeling my basement and will be setting up a theater area.

I currently have onyl coax cable service, no box, just the cable straight to the tv.....This gives me 20 channels or so, and all of the main channels in HD.

I will be using the optoma hd20 projector in my basement, and am still deciding on the receiver.

I'm leaning towards Onkyo tx-sr507 receiver.

Would I still get the same channels by plugging the coax cable into the receiver, and then running an hdmi/component cable from the receiver to the projector?

The projector doesn't have coax in, so just trying to map out how to make everything work.....the other connections will be a ps3 and xbox360,,,

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
The receiver doesn't have a TV tuner in it. That's not going to work for you. To do what you want you'll probably need to lease the cable box, preferrably the HD variety.

The Denon 1610 has a better feature set than the Onkyo 507 and can be had under $300 shipped.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18173796

The receiver doesn't have a TV tuner in it. That's not going to work for you. To do what you want you'll probably need to lease the cable box, preferrably the HD variety.

The Denon 1610 has a better feature set than the Onkyo 507 and can be had under $300 shipped.

Thanks for the receiver suggestion -- i'll check it out.

Do they make a standalone device that would accomplish what I need? Any magical device I can buy with a 1 time cost?

Would something like this work?
http://www.ambery.com/cocatvtorcav.html

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthershutch15 /forum/post/18173862

Thanks for the receiver suggestion -- i'll check it out.

Do they make a standalone device that would accomplish what I need? Any magical device I can buy with a 1 time cost?

Would something like this work?
http://www.ambery.com/cocatvtorcav.html

That would work for non-HD cable, but there's no ATSC tuner in that one for HD signals. Why not get a cable box from your cable company?

Another option is to run the audio only from your TV to your receiver if the TV offers audio outputs (most do). The downside of this is that even using a digital connection all your TV audio will be in stereo only, even the HD channels, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice, new surround receiver.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthershutch15 /forum/post/18173862

You need something like this:

Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV/Cable Tuner

Since new televisions come with HD/QAM tuners built-in, these standalone devices have been discontinued and are getting hard to find, but they work great. I have two of these, use them with Comcast cable to get the HD and unencrypted "digital" cable channels.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans /forum/post/18174055

That would work for non-HD cable, but there's no ATSC tuner in that one for HD signals. Why not get a cable box from your cable company?

Another option is to run the audio only from your TV to your receiver if the TV offers audio outputs (most do). The downside of this is that even using a digital connection all your TV audio will be in stereo only, even the HD channels, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice, new surround receiver.

Just trying to avoid paying $15 a month to my cable company for the box if there is an option of buying something up front for $100 and being done with it.

Could I just buy a cable box online/on ebay or somewhere and use that, or does it have to be something provided by my cable company?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy /forum/post/18174099

You need something like this:

Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV/Cable Tuner

Since new televisions come with HD/QAM tuners built-in, these standalone devices have been discontinued and are getting hard to find, but they work great. I have two of these, use them with Comcast cable to get the HD and unencrypted "digital" cable channels.

That looks pretty sweet --- and they sell on ebay for $150, which is 10 months of paying a rental fee to my cable company (which I hate).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some cable companies use switched digital video, and that's going to be confusing tuning through your TV.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy /forum/post/18174288

No. The tuners in VCRs were analog NTSC. Analog is dead.

Only over-the-air.

Many cable companies still provide analog channels in their basic and second-tier offerings, along with a small number of clear-QAM digital SD and HD channels (usually just local stations, due to FCC must-carry rules). That's what's provided by our local Time Warner cable company for customers who do not lease a digital cable decoder box (I get 75 analog + 15 digital channels). Of course, they also include *lots* of advertisements for their HD digital offerings.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
yeah, but it you've got a HDTV, you really don't want to look at analog channels when a high definition one is available. That samung box might be the best choice without getting a box from the cable company.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18174361

Only over-the-air.

Totally irrelevant to this thread. OP specifically stated he wants to watch HD channels. Analog NTSC tuner will not receive those, even if it's connected to "basic" cable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts