AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I have 1 main cable line coming into my house and 7 coax outlets (1 cable modem, 6 TV) that I want to feed. I've already dropped my own RG6-Quad cable for the 7 outlets and I have the ends with F-type connectors hanging out in my attic. I need to somehow get the 1 line in fed to the 7 lines out. And here is where I get confused.

I put a call into TWC to come out and try to do this for me. The guy said that the setup that I have will not work. I wanted the line in to go to a 2-way splitter. Out1 would go to the cable modem and then Out2 would go to a video amp. VAOut would go to a 6-way splitter setup (a 2-way splitter feeding two 3-way splitters). The guy said that that would be too much of a split and than the cable modem could be either very slow or not work at all. That's not good for me since I'm addicted to the Internet.

His alternative would be get an 8-way amplified splitter (8WAS). The 8WAS would have two coax inputs: 1) the main cable line in and 2) a power via a wall wart in a power outlet that has an output for a coax cable. Then, I could feed my 1 cable modem and 6 TVs from 7 of the 8 open connectors and it would work.

My question is does his suggestion sound like a good idea? If so, I found some things that might work.

8-Way Amplified Splitters(8WAS):
PCT 8WAS on Amazon.com, +4db
Maspro 8WAS on YourBroadbandStore.com, +3db

8-Way Passive Splitters (8WPS):
Regal 8WPS on YourBroadbandStore.com, -11db
Leviton 8WPS on Smarthome.com, -14db, 2.05GHz

I'm leaning towards the PCT 8WAS from amazon because it has some pretty good reviews but I still have some questions about in and about wiring in general.

1) If I run what the guy suggested (cable modem through the 8WAS), could it affect my cable modem negatively? If so, how do I go about mitigating that?

2) I've noticed that a lot of the splitters are either 5-1000mHz or 5-2300mHz. What's the difference between them? What I mean is for my setup, would a 1000mHz be fine or would I need to go to 2300mHz? What things would need a 2300mHz splitter?

3) Do you guys have any other ideas for how I should get this done and get it done the right way?

4) I'm pretty sure I have to go with an 8WAS instead of an 8WPS because the db drop is just tool large in the latter, correct?

Thanks for the help.

Also, here is a wiring diagram that I've put together. I need to figure out what should go in the light blue box basically.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehollins /forum/post/17045355

Long story short, I have 1 main cable line coming into my house and 7 coax outlets (1 cable modem, 6 TV) that I want to feed. I've already dropped my own RG6-Quad cable for the 7 outlets and I have the ends with F-type connectors hanging out in my attic. I need to somehow get the 1 line in fed to the 7 lines out. And here is where I get confused.

I put a call into TWC to come out and try to do this for me. The guy said that the setup that I have will not work. I wanted the line in to go to a 2-way splitter. Out1 would go to the cable modem and then Out2 would go to a video amp. VAOut would go to a 6-way splitter setup (a 2-way splitter feeding two 3-way splitters). The guy said that that would be too much of a split and than the cable modem could be either very slow or not work at all. That's not good for me since I'm addicted to the Internet.

I would really like to know what he is smoking. Your original thought is done all the time. It is best to have a cable modem connected via its own, dedicated splitter (or tap) and be the first device in the line. You would absolutely want to run the other leg into a drop amp than out to the TV outlets.

There is no such thing as an amplified splitter. A splitter is a passive device. No way around that. Amplified splitter is an erroneous term. Whether you do an amp then a splitter or a multiple output drop amp it doesn't really matter. A multiple output amp is merely an amplifier with a splitter on its output all in the same housing.

For cable TV, you only need a 5-1000MHz splitter. 2300MHz would be for a stacked DirecTV system.

That PCT amp is also available here .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, what I'm calling an active splitter is probably what you would call a drop amp with 8 outputs, correct? Like that PCT one that we both linked to? I'm about 99% sure that that is what you are talking about, but I'm trying to put it into my own words for my own understanding.

And from your explanation, it sounds like I need to run the main cable line into the attic to a 2-way passive splitter. OUT1 would go to my cable modem and then OUT2 would go to my 8-way drop amp. Does that sound about the same?

This cable guy also didn't seem like the sharpest bulb in cookie drawer either.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehollins /forum/post/17045592

OK, what I'm calling an active splitter is probably what you would call a drop amp with 8 outputs, correct? Like that PCT one that we both linked to? I'm about 99% sure that that is what you are talking about, but I'm trying to put it into my own words for my own understanding.

Correct.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17045820

"Sharpest bulb in the cookie drawer"? That's a new one...

Had a coworker who wasn't that smart and would also mess up almost every figure of speech that he tried to say. This statement described him nearly perfectly.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehollins /forum/post/17046825

What about my 2-way splitter to the cable modem and to the 8-way drop amp question?

2-way splitter with 1 leg feeding the cable modem and the other leg going to the drop amp that feeds the TV outlets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it. Thanks for the help. I'll start redoing the wiring this week. I'm waiting on my compression connectors to come in the mail. I'll also be redoing my DirecTV wiring as well to make it a bit neater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts