AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i use coax cable with rca plug for long audio runs. I want to connect my tv audio to my multisource unit so that it can play thru the same speakers but the tv is about 50 feet away. I hear it works better than long rca cable. If yes do i need to run 2 cables (red & white)?

·
Registered
520 Posts
You will need two runs, one for each channel assuming a stereo feed. Coax is a very generic term for cables... I would run a RG-59 if you can. At 50 feet you would probably not have issues though with RG-6...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Timer
should i use coax cable with rca plug for long audio runs. I want to connect my tv audio to my multisource unit so that it can play thru the same speakers but the tv is about 50 feet away. I hear it works better than long rca cable. If yes do i need to run 2 cables (red & white)?
FYI, I've been using the 50' Monoprice composite + audio cable for over a year with no issues. It's an RG-59 coax. This is just going from a DirecTV receiver to a 25" tube TV.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For audio just about any coax will work fine, even for 50 feet, including standard audio coax.

Does your TV have a digital audio out? For that you should probably use RG-6 or RG-59 (only 1 cable needed for digital).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I ordered the R59 from Monoprice . Wow great site, great prices. I don't have my tv yet that's why I went with the RCA plugs. Hope it all works. I have another question. Do those HDMI switches work? You know, out from a DVD and in to multiple tvs. I saw it on Monoprice was considering it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Timer /forum/post/19595908

I have another question. Do those HDMI switches work? You know, out from a DVD and in to multiple tvs. I saw it on Monoprice was considering it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

A Switch goes from multiple sources to one TV. If you want to go to multiple TVs from one source, you need a Splitter. But those can sometimes be problematic, it just depends upon your particular setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts