AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the better trade off to make for a 150' coax run for my DISH satilite to my new home theater room...

1. QUAD shield coax with non Canare (ie not true 75 ohm) F connections

2. Good quality DUAL shield coax like Belden 1694a with the Canare F connecters

As best as I can tell Canare doesn't offer a true 75 ohm connecter for QUAD shield so I think I need to make a trade off- what's the best option??

·
Registered
71 Posts
First of all what gauge is the quad-shield???

You should run RG-6 to the dish, since there is 18 volts running to the dish. I tried RG-59,(Belden 1505A) and it didnt work.

Im running over 100ft to my bedroom and 50ft to the HT room with 1694A with no problem. Definitely use 75ohm connectors, especially at that length.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks cabinboy-

Both the coax types are 18 guage

Do you have a good source for all that 1694a? 1000' sounds expensive!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try Markertek for belden 1694a. Otherwise Anixter sells by the roll (500ft)

Its not that expensive and a 500ft roll can be used for component,composite,RF etc.. Well worth it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too had the original question. Looking back at it, it seems people saying that for outdoor antenna/distribution/in-wall use, quad shield is not necessarily "better than" dual RG 6 (to newbie like me of course quad always seems twice as good as dual!) and, if so, 1694A is just about the best for such purpose?

Secondly then, when does quad shield make a real difference? Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
While the number of shields is important the type and qulaity of the shields is more so. The belden cable uses a 100% duofoil (2 layers of foil) followed by a 95% tinned copper braid.

The performance of a cable comes from the overall design rather than just the shielding. The center conductor and dielectric are very important factors in the equation. Belden's web site lists all the specs and has some great technical papers explaining which cable to use for what application and why.

Belden 1694a is designed to carry high bandwidth singals over long distances. Its the standard in both the broadcast and production industry. Good enough for the likes of CNN and THX then its probably good enough for me:)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
magster,

Do you or anyone know where one can get 1694a by the foot or in 50 foot quantities or something? Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can get 1694 (and just about any other Belden or Canare cable) by the foot at Pacific Radio and Electronics. They also carry a lot of cables that aren't on the website.

Belden 1694A

$.53/foot

$.43/foot > 100'

$235/1000' reel

I believe HaveInc will also sell it by the foot but they haven't responded to my request for pricing yet. Their website doesn't have a lot of information so you have to communicate w/ them by phone or email.

http://www.haveinc.com/

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks teddrain, now a question. Will standard RG6 F connectors be good enough or does one really need the Canare connectors? One thing I noticed is this site is pretty expensive since I've been using the 1189A by comparison. The price at milestek per foot for the 1189A is about $0.16 while the price from the site you mentioned is $0.27 or almost twice the price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honestly: I have no idea. The question is really what level of cable performance is necessary. That depends on your equipment, environment, desires, and budget.

It's up to you how much $$ you want to spend. My parents have had 100' or more of regular satellite grade coax in their home for DirectTV for years and never had any problems. I'd guess it's regular "no-name" coax like you can buy at RS or home depot.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You might also try Markertek.com. They will sell you whatever you want and even make it up for you for minimal cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.