AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an OTA digital setup and am experiencing some choppiness on channels I do believe I should be getting nearly 100%.

I am using all RG-6 cable, probably about 75 feet total. Some of the cable was re-used from the digital cable installation 3 years prior. I used compression fittings, not crimp-on. The antenna's on the roof. The house is old and still has lightning rods, so the mast is grounded to their ground wire. The coax cable is also immediately grounded to that same wire. (Don't know if this is acceptable?)

Here's the breakdown of how the coax wiring is done.

Antenna

- 1ft cable

Preamp

- 2ft cable

Coax ground (to existing lightning rod wire... unnecessary ground?)

- 20ft cable

Union, cable was barely too short

- 15ft cable

Coax ground (3 feet wire to new, isolated grounding rod)

- 10ft cable, under house at this point.

Preamp power splitter (one side to 1ft power cable, other 2 ft to 2-way splitter)

- 2ft cable

2 way splitter (each outgoing wire has an in-line protector on it, part #210MF75F22521 at SolidSignal)

- 15ft cable

HDTV

The antenna & preamp were both selected professionally for my 2-tv setup. One HDTV.

My question is this: Do you see anything here in my cabling that could cause some signal loss? Would any of the following be contributing to interference:

- Coax ground on top of the house

- Union on side of house due to too short cable

- surge protector on the splitter

I would like to improve the signal, and would be willing to replace the cable as to eliminate the roof coax ground and the union, if the pro's here think it would help -- versus replacing the antenna. Unfortunately I don't have a coax signal tester, otherwise I would be able to answer all my own questions!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) What antenna and pre-amp?

2) What stations are you having problems with?

3) Can you post your tvfool.com results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) EZ_HD antenna from Denny's Antenna Service pointed Mag 85deg. Wineguard AP 8700.

2) I have bad trouble with WUNC, especially when the weather is less than perfect. The others (at 84Deg) are near perfect during perfect weather, but choppy during windy weather.

3) http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1231446051 If you browse through my PB account http://s409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/imattusa/ (11 pictures) you can see the view from the antenna in all directions.

I know I may have to upgrade to a stronger antenna because of my house being surrounded by trees, but wanted to eliminate the possibility of the cabling install being sub-par... since I installed it myself. It's a superb antenna, and wanted to make sure user error wasn't the culprit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts