AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some quad shield RG6 and attaching Channel Vision quad connectors. I'm using a coax stripper and the "heavy duty" red handle Radio Shack crimper. My problem, and I hope you follow me, is that the connectors seem to be a little large for the crimper that when crimped, it pinches the side out and flat on one side. Hopefully that made sense to most of you...I've even seen it a thousand times. Now, the crimper is rated to handle quad shield. Is the crimp actually alright? It just comes out messy though. Any ideas or is there a better crimper I could get for this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The right tools make life 1000% easier.

The one listed in the DIY component cable site from markertek.com are well worth your money. I work for a cable company and the tools and crimpers we use are for the "radial" style compression fitting. You can litterally hang on the cable with it screwed to a connector and it won't come off. Takes about 15 seconds to cut, strip and crimp the wire. These are quite expensive though. the regular hex type work exellent if you have a good crimper made for the connector you are using.

A good crimper and stripper are a must if you ever work with coax.. the good thing about the die type like they have, is that you can use it to make coax RCA cables too :) Cheap (awesome) component cables.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Good tools do indeed make life easier. But I don't think tool quality is your problem. I have made good connections with cheap crimpers and with expensive professional tools. It is just easier and faster with good tools. And your tool is pretty good by consumer standards.

You have to use the correct connector for the cable, and the correct die size for the combination. Sounds like you have a mismatch. My guess is that even though RadioShack says your crimper can do RG6QS, it doesn't have the correct die size. RG6QS requires a large die size then RG6.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had the exact problem in the past. Believe it or not at least in my case it was the ends and not the crimper. I would always get that flat piece poking out of the side. I could use a different brand of cable and the same connector would be fine. I could also use a different end on the same cable and it would be fine.

I now use Thomas & Betts Snap&Seal. The tool is about $50. They are compression fittings. In any case you have to find a good match and it will crimp properly. Take some cable to a local electronics supply with your ends and crimper and show the people there what it is doing. I find them to be very helpful at my local store. I would think they would have a selection of ends so you might find one there that will work with your cable and crimper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.