AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sharp TV has a digital output port that looks like a regular RCA connector. I am trying to connect to a Yamaha RX-V995 with an optical input. Is there such a cable with the needed plug on each end?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
What sources do you have connected to the Sharp?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The owners manual lists no such cable. I have a blu-ray hooked up with an HDMI to the TV. As far as watching TV, I'm afraid I am doomed to stereo only since the Sharp has several HDMI ports and the Yamaha has none. That of course leaves me with RCA cable hookup for sound.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb1 /forum/post/20789655

The owners manual lists no such cable. I have a blu-ray hooked up with an HDMI to the TV. As far as watching TV, I'm afraid I am doomed to stereo only since the Sharp has several HDMI ports and the Yamaha has none. That of course leaves me with RCA cable hookup for sound.

How do you watch TV? Do you have a cable or DBS box?

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb1 /forum/post/0

Can you come directly out of your blu-ray or cable box with an optical or coaxial digital cable to your AVR?

Again more details on your setup would help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My blu-ray is connected to the Sharp via HDMI and to the Yamaha via optical cable. Watching TV is OTA only with rca cables connected to the Yamaha to obtain sound. I of course do get TV in stereo but can not figure out a setup to enjoy surround.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb1 /forum/post/20790073

My blu-ray is connected to the Sharp via HDMI and to the Yamaha via optical cable. Watching TV is OTA only with rca cables connected to the Yamaha to obtain sound. I of course do get TV in stereo but can not figure out a setup to enjoy surround.

Coaxial digital output from Sharp TV ->coaxial to optical adapter -> optical input on Yamaha.

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip.../POF-820.xhtml

·
Registered
45,727 Posts
The Sharp HDTV model number is also needed.

·
Registered
22,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/20790348

Coaxial digital output from Sharp TV ->coaxial to optical adapter -> optical input on Yamaha.

The converter is not necessary. Just use the digital coax input of the receiver.

digital audio output from Sharp to digital audio input on Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20790843

The converter is not necessary. Just use the digital coax input of the receiver.

Exactly. How threads like this manage to go on and on always baffles me. Why don't we try to easy solution, guys? Digital coax out to digital coax in. Done.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555
Exactly. How threads like this manage to go on and on always baffles me. Why don't we try to easy solution, guys? Digital coax out to digital coax in. Done.
You guys better re-read his original post. His TV has a COAXIAL (RCA) digital output, while his AVR has an OPTICAL digital input. The converter is needed unless you can explain how to directly connect a coaxial digital output to a optical digital input. I didn't think so.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman

Sigh...read the OP's original post. TV has coaxial (RCA) digital output. His AVR has optical digital input. The listed converter (or similar) is indeed needed.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024
Sigh...read the OP's original post. TV has coaxial (RCA) digital output. His AVR has optical digital input. The listed converter (or similar) is indeed needed.
I've read his post, and I used my brain a little. He gives the model number of his AVR. It has digital coax inputs. Also, from the tone of his original post, it's pretty clear that he's not familiar with digital coax, so it's also incredibly likely that he's not even aware that his AVR can support digital coax.

In all my years of troubleshooting/support/helping people, I've learned that when someone gives a requirement right up front about a subject that they clearly don't know much about (like this guy did about needing to use an optical input), that that "requirement" can almost always safely be ignored. Now, if the OP comes back and says "Oh, the digital coax inputs on my receiver are broken" or something like that, then I'll take his insistence on only using optical seriously. In the meantime, the simplest solution is digital coax out/digital coax in.

·
Registered
22,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024
Sigh....

"You guys" did read the opening post and a little more.

Did you look at the specs of the AVR? I didn't think so.

It has coax inputs. The converter is NOT needed.

Any more misdirection?

Oh and BTW... if he did need a converter, it is less expensive here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 /forum/post/20792246

I've read his post, and I used my brain a little. He gives the model number of his AVR. It has digital coax inputs. Also, from the tone of his original post, it's pretty clear that he's not familiar with digital coax, so it's also incredibly likely that he's not even aware that his AVR can support digital coax.

That receiver has FOUR digital inputs and only TWO of them support coaxial digital inputs. All FOUR support optical digital inputs. Since the OP asked if there was a way to convert the coaxial (RCA) output to an optical input, I gave him the solution for that. Your assuming that he can use one of the two coaxial inputs is of no help to him if the input he is trying to use has no coaxial support.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20792356

Sigh....

"You guys" did read the opening post and a little more.

Did you look at the specs of the AVR? I didn't think so.

It has coax inputs. The converter is NOT needed.

Any more misdirection?

Read the specs again. The receiver has 4 optical digital inputs and only 2 coaxial digital inputs. The two coaxial digital inputs are labeled "CD" and "DVD." The "TV/Satellite" digital input is optical only. Read page 16 of the manual.

Any more misdirection?

·
Registered
22,859 Posts
Okay then... let's assume there is a coaxial port unused. Just because it's "physically" labled CD or DVD, it still can be used for the TV. Just set the input selector accordingly.

You're assuming he can't use the coax ports, which is no help to the OP.

I suggest that the best way to approach this pissing contest is to ask the OP exactly what is currently connected to the receiver via optical and/or coax. We can go from there.

The whole point is... why use a converter if it isn't needed?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I get it guys. I will hook a digital RCA cable from the TV to the digial input labeled either "CD" or "DVD/LD" and use the corresponding input selection. I have read the manual but sometimes the obvious can be overlooked while searching for solutions. Thanks again for all the input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.