AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says it all. This going out from a DVD player (no HDMI out) to my Pioneer SC-37.

I am purchasing other cables from Blue Jeans Cable and thought I'd order one of these to put on the DVD player til I buy a Blu-ray player.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
On paper, optical is immune to interference, but most decent coaxial cables have enough shielding. Coaxials are more durable (kink an optical and you could break it) but that's generally not a problem unless you have a gorilla doing your install. Six of one, IMO. I've used both in various configurations.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
On short distances (under 20 feet) you can use either. Optical can be better since you do not need common ground.

For long cables coax is better, simply because regular optical cable uses plastic core with high losses (unlike glass core used in computer networks). There is little loss in coax cable up to more than 100 feet long.

You can use either RG6 (designed for antennas and cable TV) or cable designed for component video. Both give you excellent results.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the mention of "common ground" requirement? How will I know if this is in place and if not, how should I rectify such a situation?

I ask as the plug on my receiver has just 2 prongs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts