AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes... That is the right direction, COAX over HDMI, not HDMI over COAX.

Just finished a condo remodel and I have HDMI to wall mounted TVs terminating in a closet with the cable/COAX. I do not have COAX to the TV's.

I'm now realizing that I'd like to plug COAX directly into TVs in the guest rooms to provide basic cable rather than forking out $10 (or more) a month to Comcast for cable boxes.

Does anyone know of a simple COAX -> HDMI converter? I'd end up with something like this...

Incoming Cable COAX/HDMI Converter HDMI HDMI/COAX converter Cable TV

Thanks,

Tom L.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlastrange  /t/1524699/coax-over-hdmi#post_24541076

Just finished a condo remodel ...

I'm now realizing that I'd like ...

I'm sure you realize that the end of the remodel is a tough time to change requirements. How bad was your "Oh No!" moment?

Do you need all of the TV's to be independent where they can watch separate things? If not you might be able to make an HDMI matrix work.

Is there no way to pull new coax alongside the HDMI? No conduit?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
"Basic cable" meaning unencrypted QAM is getting less and less common. If it's just the OTA broadcasters, a standalone ATSC tuner would do the job, and you'll need a remote control solution as well, regardless. But the cost of those (high as there is no market demand for them any more) and limitations in what it will provide will probably land you back at renting a cable box.

Other solution would be to bridge to a centrally located unit to share among the rooms, using an HDMI-over-coax for the run between the closet and the central hub (you did run all the cables to a central hub, right?). That's a $200-400 solution per room - figure your payback accordingly...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

At a $200-400 solution per room consider switching out all your comcast boxes and getting a TiVo Roamio and TiVo mini solution.

There is an upfront cost (less than the cost of finding the adaptors you are looking for).

Then there is a massive payback in that all you pay comcast is $2-$5 a month for a cablecard.  All those box rental fees on your bill gone (while you are at it buy a DOCSIS 3 Cable modem for about $50 and stop paying to rent that as well).

You can then use the Roamio for the main viewing location.  It has an RF remote control so works well in an enclosure.

The Minis at the guest locations etc.  Payback is

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, the Roamio and Mini's could totally work. It will be my first step into Tivo-land.

I refer to this situation as an upgrade avalanche... I'm looking for a cheap COAX cable converter and I'll end up spending $1200 (1 Roamio and 2 Minis plus service) for a 3 year payback.

But it definitely gets me what I need and looks very cool.

Thanks!

Reactions: SMHarman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts