AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on which provides the better 5.1 sound?

Coax or toslink connections.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There are a number of people who claim the coax sounds "better". Especially when you throw hundreds of dollares at an expensive cable.

Then, there are others (this includes me), who maintain that digital is digital.

If a cable transmits 1's and 0's, it does just that. Optical or electronic, they are still 1's and 0's. Expensive cable or normal cable, they are still 1's and 0's.

There is no way that a 1 or a 0 can have "warmth" or "depth", etc.

If what comes out of the cable matches what goes in, then it is a 100% signal. Anything less than that, means the cable is flawed. I doubt companies will sell cables, specifically marked for digital, when they cannot reliably output what is fed into them.

I've tried both optical and digital. They sound the same to me.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If you do a search on this forum with the keywords coax and toslink - there will be more information than you will ever need. You may be even sorry that you asked. :) There are other considerations if the sound is equal from both mediums such groundloops etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
B Smooth, I agree with VitaMan. I have an Onkyo 797 and a Toshiba SD4700. Both have Coax as well as Toslink digital connections. I have tried the same material, only changing out one digital cable for another, and I cannot perceive any difference at all. I don't care if it's the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" or Moulin Rouge, output sounds identical when all other componants, cable lengths, etc. are also identical. 0 still equals 0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.