AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of putting together an HT for a friend, we've had a request from his spouse.

She asked if we could put the HTPC about 50' away (total run distance, not "as the crow flies") from the TV as opposed to the 8' we originally planned. In the interest of family peace, I want to explore options.

We're connecting to the back of a Mits WS65908 through the RGBHV ports. When my friend did the wiring for the room, he actually put in the 50' worth of 5 coax cables coming from the far location to the HDTV, just in case.

My concern is signal quality. Is 50' of wire too far, even for 5 seperate coax (RG6) cables? If so, is there any recourse?

I want him to get the best out of this system, as I've talked up the HTPC thing big time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't think 50' should be any problem as long as you have decent cable and good connectors. Most cable problems are connector related.

John Moschella

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Scott,

Try to use the RG6/U cable if you can. It's a little stouter and better made than the standard RG6.

John is right, your connections are very critical.

At first try I put BNC connectors at the end of my RG6/U cable, with a result of a color blinking picture. It seems one of the center pin connectors was just barely making contact. I then pulled all the connectors off and soldered all of the center pins to the center conductor wire of the RG/U. That did the trick. Try to solder if you can and get a good crimper tool.

Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! The WS65908 is the newer, 2001+ model, so the connections for the RGBHV in the back are RCA not BNC.

Do you think this will still be an issue? Will there be soldering involved?

Also -- are there any crimpers that are better than others for RCA stuff?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.