AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a solution that will allow me to capture a coax cable NTSC signal at optimal quality ([email protected] frames/sec). Additionally I want a solution that will work with DScaler for viewing purposes. I've done a lot of research here over the past few months and I've concluded that none of the TV-Tuner card/software capture solutions are going to give me the kind of quality I want in terms of capture and my guess is that I can tune a better TV signal using an external box. I started looking at better capture cards like the Pinnacle DV500+ and Dazzle DVnowAV and thought maybe they would work well if I just fed them an S-Video TV signal from my VCR, but then I started thinking about DScaler compatibility and I couldn't confirm that these cards would work. So I started searching for high-quality capture cards that are compatible with DScaler and came back with the Falcon DFG/LC1 and KBK modded cards.

My questions are these: Will this proposed solution work or will I not be able to capture TV Video and sound into Adobe Premiere using a Falcon or KBK card? Am I just completely off in my approach to this whole problem, making newbie like assumptions, and not considering better alternatives?

The final kicker is that I'd like to do this using WinXP.

TIA.

-Sean

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'd go with a KBK card. I think the Falcon offers similar peformance for more money. You'll have more people using the KBK card to help you as well, besides KBK himself :)

You are right about the DScaler compatibility...Premiere probably supports more stuff. I believe this card will give you pretty decent performance though.

Also, good idea about using an external box. Ideally, get something with s-video out like a TiVO or an SVHS VCR for best performance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
I'd go with a KBK card. I think the Falcon offers similar performance for more money. You'll have more people using the KBK card to help you as well, besides KBK himself :)
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably still consider both cards due to KBK probably being backed-up with requests. Just to confirm... Could someone please comment on the ability to capture the audio stream with these cards as well?

Quote:
You are right about the DScaler compatibility...Premiere probably supports more stuff. I believe this card will give you pretty decent performance though.
Just to be sure on this too. I would appreciate any information on whether or not cards like Pinnacle DV500+ and Dazzle DVnowAV definitely do or do not work with DScaler.

Quote:
Also, good idea about using an external box. Ideally, get something with s-video out like a TiVO or an SVHS VCR for best performance.
I was thinking of just picking up a DirecTV receiver without an activation card and using the NTSC Coax-In and the S-Video out. What do you think? These have regular TV tuners inside them too right?

Thanks again.

Sean

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm not sure about the KBK card, but I believe most people don't use the sound on their TV card to capture but rather another input.

I personally use the one on my sound card since it has seperate RCA plugs for L and R (a Hercules Game Theater) and I bet cleaner inputs.

I don't believe either of those will work. It needs to be something based on the BT chips.

I think the DirecTV receiver idea would work. Just make sure you get one with the NTSC tuner and not just satellite inputs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.