AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago when I was doing research for coax cable, the advice was to use solid copper center conductor, 100% foil, 95% Tinned copper braid. Is this still true or are some of the aluminum shielded cables acceptable now?

I'm getting ready to buy cable for my TV runs. I'm leaning toward cat5e/component baluns instead of rg59/6 for component.

Some of my runs are up to 80 feet. Will cat5e/component baluns perform as well as component over RG59, or RG6?

Also I remember reading that it was safer to run cat5e than cat6 because cat6 was a lot more finicky to terminate to get the full bandwidth, is this still true or should I use cat6 now?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdp /forum/post/17029869

A year ago when I was doing research for coax cable, the advice was to use solid copper center conductor, 100% foil, 95% Tinned copper braid. Is this still true or are some of the aluminum shielded cables acceptable now?

I'm getting ready to buy cable for my TV runs. I'm leaning toward cat5e/component baluns instead of rg59/6 for component.

Some of my runs are up to 80 feet. Will cat5e/component baluns perform as well as component over RG59, or RG6?

Also I remember reading that it was safer to run cat5e than cat6 because cat6 was a lot more finicky to terminate to get the full bandwidth, is this still true or should I use cat6 now?

You are probably OK with any quad shield RG6 coax.

At 80', I would use (quality) baluns. Component runs of those lengths may have some problems? I recently used cat6 cabling with Laird baluns to run a whole house HD distribution system and I have to say that the system works great. No dropouts, No HDCP issues etc. The cat6 was no harder to terminate than cat5e cabling I have done in the past.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
At 80', I would use (quality) baluns. Component runs of those lengths may have some problems?

I don't see how. Component video is commonly run over 100' on Belden 1505A.

Passing video through two transformers (BaLuns) will reduce quality a lot more than a long coax cable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

If the baluns reduce the signal quality more than coax, is it noticeable or is the difference insignificant on the video screen?

I will be pulling through 1-1/4" conduit/smurf. If I go with Cat6, would you recommend solid over stranded or is it too easy to break?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have been using active units (powered) to distribute HDMI signals throughout my home. I do not believe the active units cause the same type of degradation that the passive type baluns do. Additionally, you will need only one cat5e or cat6 cable for distribution compared to three coax cables. Most of the manufacturers recommend use of solid cat cabling. Unless you have a lot of cable flexing, you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I am a huge proponent of using Precision coaxial cable for component and line level audio runs. Precision cable is the one with all the extra copper and the price tag to go along with it

Concerning cat5e & baluns vs precision coaxial cable... my opinion is if you are going to be using the wiring right away, run the coax. In the end it is going to be cheaper than buying balans that can easily run $100-300 per pair. Also, by using good quality wire and no baluns, you have one less thing to worry about going bad. On the other hand, if you are wiring locations that may never need to be used for video/audio signals, then using the cat5e wire is fine. Should you need it in the future, buying a balan isn't that big of a deal.

Just my 2 cents really. Just keep in mind that whatever solution you choose, you should be sure to drop a few extra cat5e wires along with it for other needs like network, phone, IR distribution, potential HDMI future proofing, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.