AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I had an OK termination kit that wandered off. I never replaced it and have been using screw-on connectors ever since. Tired of 'em coming off.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a good kit for high quality crimp-on's for RG-59 F, BNC, and RCA.

??

Thanks,

Aslan...

·
Registered
677 Posts
You can take a look at some Augat Snap and seal connectors. They have a compression fitting for a tight fit.

Also have a look at the cable pro stuff form http://www.libertycable.com/

Nice product and the ends won't come off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tru. Got the Snap & Seal stuff for the F connector. Is there a trick to getting the connector all the way down on the coax? I'm having a beast of a time with it. The it1000 tool only does the compression, doesn't do anything to push the connector on the cable, is there a tool that does (other than raming it against a counter)?

Still trying to decide on the RCA & BNC stuff, probably either Liberty or Canare

Thanks,

Aslan

·
Registered
155 Posts
Aslan, is this quad shield cable?

Compression fittings for regular RG-6 and quad shield are different.

If you do have quad sheild, and are sure you have the correct fittings, push the braid and outer layer of foil back. The ferrel on the fitting will slide down between the two. If you don't do this, the fittings are VERY hard to push on.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The F connectors with the blue ring are for RG6 and the ones with the black connectors are for RG6Q.

You can use an old CATV trap filter to help you. just screw the connector in to the trap to give you the leverage, Then push until the insulator is flush with the inside of the F connector.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cable is qs as are connectors. Am I assuming correctly that when the it1000 strips the cable I should see; Jacket, Braid, Center conductor? NOT Jacket, Foam, Center conductor?

Is your suggestion to fold the braid/foil back over the jacket and then push on?

Thanks,

Aslan.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes. Your stripper shouldn't cut through the first layer of foil and braid.

You don't need to fold the foil and braid clear back, just seperate it from the layer below clear around.

When you put your fitting on, the internal sleeve of the fitting will slide between the upper and lower levels of foil. It sounds like your fittings are jamming up on the outer layer. They are very difficult to put on if this happens.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TOK. I'm still having problems - seperating the layers is extremely difficult. I'm thinking of setting up one of my strippers to strip off the braid. Since the inner ferrul of the connector goes back a ways under the jacket I would think this would be OK.

??

Thanks,

Aslan...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.