AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue that I'm trying to resolve. I don't have a cable box from my company and don't want one. As a result all I'm left with is coax cable going to TV, then toslink to receiver for sound. There's a lip sync issue on some channels. My receiver has hdmi in and hdmi out. Is there a way to convert, adapt, or something else to the coax cable so I can hook it up to my receiver?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure if I had an exact same issue but I used some red/white cables to go from TV audio out into the TV input on my receiver then I matrixed up to 5.1. Its not true 5.1 but it works. My avr does an ok job

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
What is coming into your house on the coax? Is it digital over the air TV or analog cable? You need some sort of an external tuner to change this signal into a video/audio signal. But you first need to know what type of RF signal is coming in.

It would be far more simple to just get pay for the HD server and the box..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm using a indoor/outdoor antenna from monoprice. Its white. I just plugged it to my TV and set my TV to antenna. I guess it would be digital ota? I'm not sure.

Maybe you have a setting for input lag on ur TV

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbrunoloco
I'm using a indoor/outdoor antenna from monoprice. Its white. I just plugged it to my TV and set my TV to antenna. I guess it would be digital ota? I'm not sure.

Maybe you have a setting for input lag on ur TV
So you need a device with a digital Tuner and an HDMI output.. be it a DVD recorder, Tivo, or HD converter box.. etc

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbemr /forum/post/20765771

I have an issue that I'm trying to resolve. I don't have a cable box from my company and don't want one. As a result all I'm left with is coax cable going to TV, then toslink to receiver for sound. There's a lip sync issue on some channels. My receiver has hdmi in and hdmi out. Is there a way to convert, adapt, or something else to the coax cable so I can hook it up to my receiver?

It kind of depends on the TV. My Panasonic plasma has a setting for audio synch. Not all sets have that.

As others have mentioned, it kind of depends on what you are trying to watch/accomplish. Is this for the HD OTA broadcast channels, or the low quality cable analog channels that the basic cable system provides?

If the cable channels, you may as well use the red and white analog path, as the quality just isn't there to begin with. If you are trying to receive the HD broadcast channels, you will get better sound from the TOSLINK. Unfortunately, the HDMI is most likely input only, so you can't get the audio fed out from it. The TOSLINK signal is also most likely only 2 channel as well, as most TVs strip off the rear channel info on the digital output.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/20827781

Unfortunately, the HDMI is most likely input only, so you can't get the audio fed out from it. The TOSLINK signal is also most likely only 2 channel as well, as most TVs strip off the rear channel info on the digital output.

Really? I have a cheapo Dynex and it outputs full 5.1 via toslink.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.