AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this has probably been asked before so I apologize in advance.

The situation:

Our house has coax running all over the place to include our back patio. This coax, is NOT attached to our Sat dish (don't ask why). We want to put a TV outside and had attached our DirectTV DVR to this coax in hopes of being able to use the signal from it (had to run S-video and Audio (OUT) from the DVR through a converter to the coax). Needless to say, we are not getting a high-def signal outside.

So, the question is, how do we turn the signal we're getting from the DVR (via the coax) back into HDMI? Can we just put another box between the coax and the TV to convert the signal? We don't care if we have to watch what the first DVR is watching, just want to make the signal Hi-Def.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutini18 /forum/post/18172539

Okay, this has probably been asked before so I apologize in advance.

The situation:

Our house has coax running all over the place to include our back patio. This coax, is NOT attached to our Sat dish (don't ask why). We want to put a TV outside and had attached our DirectTV DVR to this coax in hopes of being able to use the signal from it (had to run S-video and Audio (OUT) from the DVR through a converter to the coax). Needless to say, we are not getting a high-def signal outside.

So, the question is, how do we turn the signal we're getting from the DVR (via the coax) back into HDMI? Can we just put another box between the coax and the TV to convert the signal? We don't care if we have to watch what the first DVR is watching, just want to make the signal Hi-Def.

Thanks for the help.

Darn right it has - about every week - go do some reading.

There is ONE WAY to convert coax into HDMI - with another tuner. If you're using DirectTV - you need to get that patio coax connected to the dish and another receiver bought for the patio, or move one of your current receivers out there when you want to watch outside (still need to connect the patio coax to the dish).

There's another possibility if it doesn't have to be coax - checkout www.Sling.com .

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Or if you want to keep the tuner inside, you would need to run component plus audio or an HDMI cable out to the TV location. There's nothing you can buy that will recompress and encode the HD from the output of your DVR to pass it over a single strand of coax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you mjones73 for giving me a straightforward answer to the REAL question I had - can you use a signal from the OUTPUT of one receiver to feed to another in lieu of running a new line from the dish.

Scooper - I have done plenty of reading and had not found anyone asking this particular question. I'm sure they are out there so feel free to direct me to all of those posts that have and I will consider myself schooled.

Otherwise, try to control the snide remarks and consider my apology hereby withdrawn.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutini18 /forum/post/18177367

Thank you mjones73 for giving me a straightforward answer to the REAL question I had - can you use a signal from the OUTPUT of one receiver to feed to another in lieu of running a new line from the dish.

Scooper - I have done plenty of reading and had not found anyone asking this particular question. I'm sure they are out there so feel free to direct me to all of those posts that have and I will consider myself schooled.

Otherwise, try to control the snide remarks and consider my apology hereby withdrawn.

You haven't done ANY READING (or searching) or you would have found one.

(First one - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=hdmi+coax )

It's nearly a weekly question from newbies here.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
No offense but Scooper is correct, we commonly get people asking how to pass HD over coax...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Okay, this has probably been asked before so I apologize in advance. It was his first post. Lets be nice to the new folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts