AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I working my home project and was wondering if any one knows of any high quality wall sockets for coax (f-pin) connections. I figure your signal is only as good as the weakest link so if I have high quality cable through out the house but subpar (cable guy) installed sockets then I will only be as good as those wall sockets. I mean what is the point of having a gold plated cable if your wall socket is only nickel or what ever.

Well if you have link to a company or product please post it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonspell /forum/post/14295891

I mean what is the point of having a gold plated cable if your wall socket is only nickel or what ever.

Whats the point of having gold plated cable?

The entire cable plant is wired with aluminum shielded cable and nickel plated cable fittings.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:

I working my home project and was wondering if any one knows of any high quality wall sockets for coax (f-pin) connections. I figure your signal is only as good as the weakest link so if I have high quality cable through out the house but subpar (cable guy) installed sockets then I will only be as good as those wall sockets. I mean what is the point of having a gold plated cable if your wall socket is only nickel or what ever.

Thanks!

Too much potential for CPDs (not a good thing) with gold plated stuff. Why waste the time or money?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Typically the cables and connectors put in by the cable guys are pretty good quality. They cannot afford to have lots of service calls for marginal signals so they use good high bandwidth cable. They also have high integrity connections since there are specs on how much signal leakage they can have from their cables. Use what they put in, it will not be your weakest link. The subpar guys are the ones at the store telling everyone they need gold plated cable.

..Doyle

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

Nickel is a perfectly excellent thing to plate connectors with. The whole point of having connectors plated with gold is that gold doesn't oxidize, and neither does nickel.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/14386139

Nickel is a perfectly excellent thing to plate connectors with. The whole point of having connectors plated with gold is that gold doesn't oxidize, and neither does nickel.

Bingo.

To make it worse gold plating can rub off easily.

every connection has DB loss. less terminations is your best bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts