AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out which is better for DD sound. Obviously the Left and right are coaxcil. But the digital part. I have never used optical. I have a laser disk/dvd combo player and I used the coax input. Now I have a DVD player hooked up and the DVD input defaults to optical. If the power goes out, which it does quite often. I have to change the input back to coax. This is a pain. So I thought I would buy a optical cable. Is there any difference in sound?

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
250 Posts
There should be no difference in sound (as in none whatsoever). Optical cables tend to be a bit less robust than coax, so if you can place it in a safe spot, there is no difference! They both transmit digital data.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Use Coaxial.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I prefer coax.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you use your DVD player for both DVDs and CDs, like I do, then you can use both coax and optical. I connect one to the receiver's DVD input and the other to the CD input. That way, you don't have to change receiver settings wgen you switch between CDs and DVDs. Just select CD if you are playing a CD or select DVD if you are playing a DVD. Your receiver will remember the correct settings for each.

BTW, this will also allow you to A/B the cables by switching between CD and DVD on your remote, and prove for yourself that both sound the same.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Use Coax. Optical is great if you have good connections. High speed communications and servers use it all the time. Unfortunately, TosLink does not even come close to qualifying as a good connection.

Also, if you ever want to go with an external DAC, you will have a MUCH wider selection if you are using coax.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It really doesn't matter, they make an identical sound. Optical is "cooler" because you are using light to transmit sound...but the results are the same.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but a Toslink (optical) cable won't carry over a ground loop problem. It's electrically inert. I think I read somewhere on this board that if you are getting feedback through a device, such as a HTPC, then you should use a toslink cable.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The only problem I have with Toslink is how loosely it fits in the connection port. They fall out all of the time.

If you are interfacing 3 prong electrical gear (i.e. computers) to 2 prong standard consumer gear, I would go optical. This will eliminate the potential for a ground loop.

As far as the toslink can cause jitter argument, I have yet to see a concrete scientific study to show it. Excessive jitter WILL show up in THD analysis if it is bad enough but I don't know anyone whose ever got real numbers to back up the optical = audible jitter claim.

Anyway 99% of the time it won't make a difference.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
The only problem I have with Toslink is how loosely it fits in the connection port. They fall out all of the time.
This is my biggest gripe about optical as well. It's a very flimsy connection and it's come loose on me a few times as well.

Otherwise, I've tried to A/B coaxial vs. optical and I really can't tell too much difference, so I bought a good coaxial cable and I'm sticking with that so I can have confidence in a secure connection.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hmm, I've never had that problem with any Toslink cable I used. It snaps into place and holds tightly. This covers everything from CD players, DVD players, and a Sega Virtua Racing arcade game that uses Toslink for its network connection.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
what about a long run ? say your dvd player is close by the projector but 6, 8 or 10meters away from the receiver and other components. isn't Optical much better then ? I have problems passing by DTS for instance on a long coax cable and sometimes it doens't go through at all. the lenght is 12meters.

thanks

note: optical connections and cables in the consumer world are definitely not what's found in the pro or industrial world

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Reznor,

My X-box has a pretty nice snug fit that's my best experience, but I've never had Toslink cables "snap" into place.

David,

I don't know what the official spec for Toslink is but for some reason it is VERY hard to find cables in the 10m+ range. Many people argue that you need repeaters when you go higer than 3m. A definite Your Mileage May Very situation.

However your coax dificulty is rather unusual.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi :)

i must say the problem occured with a Belden RG6 1694A coax, good for 3Ghz :D , 15meters long, BNC on both ends with BNC to RCA adaptators, which I can"t guarantee are true 75ohms ( essential for digital and video)... THAT might be the problems....

I should test a rca-rca RG6 or RG59 75ohms.

cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Reznor,

My X-box has a pretty nice snug fit that's my best experience, but I've never had Toslink cables "snap" into place.

-Mr. Wigggles
I just disconnected and reconnected a Toslink cable from a Pioneer receiver, and apart from being somewhat hard to pull out(more force needed than banana plugs), it makes a fairly loud snap going back in.

Maybe you just are pushing it in hard enough :confused:

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Reznor,

Last night I went home and started inserting and removing my toslink cables.

Most did have a soft "click" but my Denon, which I thought were merely loose, just needed more force to engage with a loud "POP".

Thanks for the advice. I'm suprised that they needed so much insertion force considerably more than my other equipment.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got a 40 ft. optical from milestek for my xbox, and it works well. I don't think it is very high quality so I don't know if I would use it where quality is a big issue.

I use coax whenever possible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.