AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to buy VSX-323-K model, but my concern is that can I provide input audio from another room(away from 30feet) by coaxial cable (or only RCA audio cable required). 2nd, for output can I use coaxial cable (30 feet) for bathroom (without amplifier) without any qauality comromize.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
For that distance I'd use digital audio (optical or coaxial) Or another method is streaming audio over your LAN, have a media player in each zone.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
1. If by "coax" you mean a digital link, then I agree that would be more likely to work than a line-level run, but that is a pretty long run either way. You may have to get a repeater or active cable.
2. If you are talking about a speaker-level output ("no amplifier") then I would use standard 12 or 14 AWG in-wall wire, not coax.

As an aside, RCA cables are almost all "coax" but may or may not be the same coax as used by digital links.

p.s. I have run line-level signals 60' - 100' or so in a professional install. Not a big deal with proper shielding and such. If your room is 30' away, you may end up with 60' of cable, and I do not know the route (how close to other noise sources and such) thus my "pretty long run" comment. I had a 20' run in my room for years using fairly cheap cable, kept away from power lines, and no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts