AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some Belden 1694A coax cable for my satellite tv installation, but I bought the blue colored cable and I can not return or exchange the color.

I spoke to someone at Belden and they told me I should have bought the black colored cable because it has a UV treatment on it to prevent the sun from destroying it.

They told me that I should run the cable in conduit, but I forgot to ask which kind or perhaps the belden person gave me the impression that she didn't know what the difference in conduit types would be.

So this brings me to my question. Since I have to run conduit for this cable, are there any pros or cons associated with each pertinent type of conduit as regards to the performance of the cable?

For example, I am planning to use metal conduit, for better durability and aesthetics on the roof and on the side of the house, but will the metal of the conduit somehow interfere or degrade in any way the quality of the transmission of the signals going through the cable?

Besides, the metal conduits, the only other kind of conduit I can think of for this application would be the PVC irrigation conduit, which again I really don't like the look of, but if anybody has any ideas, information or suggestions on this topic, please let me know. Thank you if do.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
You might want to check your local codes to see what choices you have. Not that there are any specific codes in you particular situation in your locale. I would buy the plastic conduit rated for electrical here where I live at the local Lowe's it is a medium gray colored plastic rated for interior and exterior runs of electrical wiring. It is the same material that my main power, cable, and phone come into my home. I think having worked with both the the plastic and the metal conduit I personally find the plastic easier to work with. You can, if you don't like the color, paint the plastic conduit to match your roof and exterior of your home.

Just my .02 worth.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so the grey PVC plastic it is.

I cant imagine the plastic conduit will or could in any way interfere with the cable signal transmission, but just in case I have to ask. . . Will it?

Also, how will I conduit/protect the last few feet of cable running up to the LNB's/switches/antenna dish?

I wanted to add that I am located in Palm Desert, CA. It gets to about 120 degrees in the shade here in the summer, just in case the heat makes a difference in the installation decision making.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15131132

It would seem that you could get a length of the right Coax for what you are going to pay for the conduit and attachment clips.

Big,

You raise and interesting point and one that I had wished I had though of actually. Something to at least consider.

remember,

No plastic conduit will not interfere with your signals. As for protecting the last few feet of cable there could be a couple of options.

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce...lectrical+Tape

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...40&cat=2,43224

http://www.shurtape.com/default.aspx?Tabid=75&Level1=46

These should get you started. Some of the tape I looked at is "cold weather rated" so you shouldn't have to worry about those chilly days where the temperature drops to the mid 70's.

I thought about paint but other than using auto paint which usually has UV inhibitors tape is or should be easier to apply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/15129499

You might want to check your local codes to see what choices you have. Not that there are any specific codes in you particular situation in your locale.

Don't know how it is in other places, but I am told here in Colorado low voltage applications are not in the scope of what the electrical code covers. Meaning, you can do whatever you want with low voltage.

Agree with Big though that it would cheaper, and more importantly, faster, to just buy the cable you need instead of running conduit. The cable is shielded so I don't think it will matter what type of conduit you use, assuming you go that route.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems as if some people are suggesting not to use conduit.? at least because of the cost/extra time, but. . .

In my experience, no matter how well cables and wires are installed, whether they be rated "direct burial" or super insulated/shielded, etc., without a conduit the chances of incurring a damaged cable are literally infinitely greater. To me pushing the cable through the conduit is almost fun, in the fact that I get a real sense of security knowing (or atleast believing) that no shovel, rod or other accident, short of a chainsaw is going to damage my cable. That cable will last as long as the cable lasts, not as long as someone or something accidentally tears into it.

And Im coming to the point in my life, where I want my work to last more than just a few years or even only 5 or 10 years. Unless, these cables and conduit are simply incapable of lasting 20 or more years, I'm under the belief that with the conduit, there is no reason that the cable should incur any damages whatsoever with regards to shovels, debris flying at gale force 1 winds or whatever for the actual full life of the cable. (Unless someone can prove me wrong)

Even if I did buy the black colored UV treated cable, I would still want to use a conduit and now that I remember, I am using some black Canare RG-11 cable(L-7CFB I believe) for the major long runs and switching to the Belden when I need to perform turns. I just thought that the metal conduit would last even longer than the PVC(and also might somehow look less aesthetically objectionable), but I was just worried that metal conduit might somehow electromagnetically or otherwise interfere with the cable transmission signals.

To me, the time, energy and money of the conduit are far less of a consequence than my belief that the cable will never be an issue as to why my sat tv system is on the fritz. It could be a switch, lnb, receiver, even the connectors, but never the cable, at least not if its in conduit. Now go ahead and ruin my belief system. No, seriously, if you know why or how the conduit could not serve the purpose I believe it is meant to serve, then please let me know. Thank you.

To RTRose,

Thanks for the links for all the tapes. The first looks like simple electrical tape, which from my recollection in the desert, does not hold up very long with the harshness of extreme desert heat, but then again I suppose there are thousands of types of tape as you seem to have linked me with. I think few places/people design their products with the heat of the so. cal. desert in mind, even with several Lowes and HD's here. The greenhouse tape looks interesting since its one of my other hobbies. And the third link will keep me busy studying for a while, after I figure out which comp. connectors to get. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
remember,

One of the greatest things about this forum is the ability to come here share ideas, ask questions, and see what everyone else has done, is doing, or planning to do. Ultimately though the final decision is yours to make. If you feel more comfortable having your cable whether pink, purple, orange, blue, or black in a conduit then by all means do it. I did give some consideration to your local climate regarding the tape but thought that might be a simpler solution to your question. Due to the heat (at least it is a DRY heat right?) and being more familiar with how the local weather affects your situation maybe painting your cable is the best solution and I believe most automotive paint has UV blockers or there are some home exterior paints I think have UV blockers. The following is a couple of links of where I bought some of my cabling/connecting supplies.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/

Here are a couple more links for you regarding cables.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=diy+cables

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=diy+cables

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/14...ponent-cables/

This should get you you started anyway. Just be careful not to suffer from info overload.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes comfortability is important, but also important are the facts. Perhaps my way of writing eludes my intention, which is to learn the facts. I was trying to describe that my best reason for using conduit is to prolong the life of the cable as much as possible.

That is the only advantage to using conduit, that I can think of, if actually a realizable advantage at all. Again, I write as if I am stating a factual truth, but in reality it is only my conjecture and thus the reason why I come to this forum so I can find the factual pros and cons to the issues.

I totally agree with the statements that conduit is more time consuming and more costly, but my original intention was to find out both the disadvantages as well as the benefits of using conduit for my cables. I know it seems rather ridiculous, but I am still not entirely sure that using conduit will prolong the life of the cable. I mean, (and again this is just off the top of my head speculation) perhaps the cable being inside the conduit will raise the temperature that the cable is rated for or perhaps mositure in the air will more readily seep into the conduit for whatever reasons of physics/climatology and negate the extension of life expectancy I intended the conduit to provide. I have no factual reference to any of the above statements, as I am only trying to find out all the pros as well as cons to using conduit and the various types of conduit with regards to the performance and life expectancy of the cable.

So aside from the extra time, extra cost and extra labor of installing the conduit, are there any other possible advantages or disadvantes of using conduits?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts